Herby about to shed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  20:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herby had been not doing much as of late, he was always sleeping in his usual spot, so id thought id leave him for abit till i saw him out on about.

Anyways i thought id invade his space tonight and see if he was ok. I have found him really pale and cloudy eyes so at least i know its now because hes about to shed and thats its nothing to worry about

So all is good :)

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  20:41:11  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice..! Glad everything is ok!
Keep us updated!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  04:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great news John . As his eyes are cloudy now, they will stay that way for a couple of days and then they will clear up and his colour will return to normal. Lots of new snake owners have thought that it meant their snake has shed and searched for the shed skin....but Herbie wont shed for about 4/5 days after that (although it just took Silvesta nearly 2 weeks from his eyes clearing to him shedding !).

What you then need to look out for is him being a bit more active, rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see Herby shed.

What is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

As for handling and feeding him during this time, it really is down to personal choice. I am one of those owners who has chosen not to feed or handle. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont. I also dont handle during this time, as even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!). But again some owners do handle their snakes. A lot of it is down to the snake themselves....some will eat while blue and tolerate handling, others wont. So, the choice is yours.

Do keep us updated and we will, obviously, expect pics of the new shiny Herby as soon as he has shed .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 02/10/2010 05:08:09
Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any ideas on how to get tip off mytikas tail? he shed and i cant get it off :(

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  18:35:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let him slither through a warm, not hot, damp towel. Move his water to the warm end of his viv. If that doesn't work come back and we'll give more suggestions.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  19:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you :) will try it now!

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  20:08:18  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you can rub it gently aswell with the warm cloth.
I once used tweezers to get the very tip of doyles off, came off very easily, but if you choose do do this make sure you have a steady hand and a still snakey! :)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  05:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herriotfan's suggestion about the warm damp towel is a good one Liesla, just dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with lukewarm water and let Mytika wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off. Or, as it is only her tail tip that has been retained you could soak the layer of shed off with warmish water and cotton wool, doing it very gently but it is very important that you dont pull at the tail.

I am not sure about using tweezers to pull it off though....I wonder if you could damage the new scales underneath?

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000