New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  11:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

A question about my cornsnake, she is 10 years old, and very healthy! However I've just noticed her do something which she's never done before, and wanted to check with others to see if this is at all normal..

What she does, is when she looks upwards and around, her head bobs and twitches, a few times a second, almost like she's vibrating.. Is this a muscular problem or nerves or something?

She has just begun turning cloudy ready to shed, but I noticed this behaviour at least a week ago..

Anyone have any ideas please? :( I'm a tad concerned..

Thanks!

Oscar

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  18:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I've attached a link to a little video which will hopefully make it a bit clearer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZyzh_9eG6Q

Please help, concerned about what this might be!

Thanks,

Oscar

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  05:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish I could help Oscar, but I am no expert. We do have some very experienced members who I am sure will be able to offer you some advice but maybe some more information about her would help....have you changed anything recently, what is her set-up like (temps, hides, etc), just a general run down of everything you can think of.

You say you noticed this behaviour a week ago....how often does she do it, every day, a few times a day, more than that? How is she when you handle her, any different to normal, any sign of the movement/vibration then?

Sorry I cant be of more help but I am sure someone will be along soon who will.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Kellog. Not much has changed, although I did move her location a few weeks ago, but I took her out of her Viv when I did, so don't think she hurt herself or anything, and she's in exactly the same Viv with the same conditions.

High 20's at the warm end with the mat and bulb, low/mid 20's on the other, she has 3 bark hides, one long vine/leafy area for shade and a good inch and a bit of aspen.

Someone suggested mating behaviour as a trigger? But I've not been in contact with any other snakes, though I have been into a petshop to buy new substrate, but that wouldn't necessarily make her twitch would it? :S

Confused.com!

Oscar Morrell
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  09:32:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know what it is, but I would definitely suggest either taking her into an experienced rep shop that know how to do snake health check-up kinda thing or, going to a vet.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  10:40:09  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would get her checked over by a herp vet.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  11:13:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For a snake that's 10 years old to start doing something quite odd and out of character suggests a visit to the vet might be in order. Lets hope it's nothing to worry about but best checked out to put your mind at rest! Let us know how it goes.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:27:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as it's a short video clip it's a little hard to tell but it looks like her body is twitching too
twitching can be mating or nervous behaviour, so if she's had a bit of a change round i'd put it down to being nervous and should settle down
personally i'd monitor her behaviour for a few weeks, if it persists or worsens then book her in with an exotics vet

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000