convincing parents for corn snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  20:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, im new and hopefull going to be allowed a corn snake, my mum doesn't mind but my dad isn't too keen which is okay, its just I dont think they know that much about them..

could you give some pro's and cons and things that could change his mind, thanks.

Chez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  20:54:21  Show Profile  Click to see Chez's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The thing that changed my dads mind to let me have a snake was just to educate him on corn snakes and to show him how cool they are, and to show your dad you are mature enough to handle the responsible you are by helping around the house keepin room tidy etc
hope that helps and hope you get your snakey soon

0.1.0 - corn snake - Tiny
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  20:54:48  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sit and read the care sheet and some articles on this site with them.if you get them involved in it u shud get a more positive reaction. when they realise some of the myths behind animals(snakes in this case)example: like they dont cum from under the bed at night n strangle u at nite ps.my mum was a wuss . it allways worked for me wen i was living at home and wanted summat different good luck

Edited by - smiffy89 on 28/09/2010 20:57:01
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  22:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just have a good research about them so you know what you'll need and what you can expect. Then drag the parents to the odd reptile shop, most reptile shops will happily get a snake out to let you have a look/small handle of it. When parents are with you it's much easier to show that they aren't the slimy, hissy, bitey things that they always think. Often enough that is the turning point.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  22:08:21  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with Kehhlyr! The best thing you can do is to get them to handle a corn, so that they see how calm and cute they are..! That's what i did!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  23:08:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
^ above. Also, you have to do a good amount of research, it will make your parents think you are more responsible. They are very cheap to look after once you have the set-up, it's just the set-up that costs the money so putting money away will make your parents know you are serious. Also looking into where your nearest reptile vet is another thing. Also, talk about escape proofing! I think parent's worst fear os that they escape too often. Yes they can escape, you just have to be extra-careful.

My mum gave me the ok with a snake, my dad never did and he was furious! I think he expected it to cost a lot of money though and grow huge. He still has never held them in all the 8 years I've had them but he doesn't care that I have them now. I think if ever they escaped, that would be it, he would probably blow up and nag about re-homing.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  05:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have been given some great advice , unsurprisingly! It is good that you have your mum on side but be careful about not constantly pushing your dad on the subject....you know how stubborn parents can get when pushed !!

The best thing to do is show how responsible you are and how aware you are of what is involved in getting a corn and looking after it....like how you are going to pay for it, where you are going to get the equipment from, research on how to set everything up....Setting Up A Hatchling Corn Snake - My 101 is definitely required reading for that....I suggest you print it out and show it to your parents....and how to care for them (Care Sheet and Your 1st snake).

Also the trip to a reptile shop is a must! Especially once your parents see the little hatchlings....your mum (and maybe even your dad!) will find it hard to resist them ....and getting the chance for you and your parents to handle snakes is definitely invaluable.

Do you know exactly why your dad isnt keen? Is he scared of snakes? If we knew then maybe we could answer his worries more directly.

Just the fact you are on here is a positive sign ! We will help all we can!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  11:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old are you mate?

I begged for a corn when I was 13 but parents said no. I begged again at 16 and got a no. They just didn't want a snake in the house. I tried everything.

So I waited untill I had my own place and was settled down. Then last year at the age of 20 I had my first corn. It was worth waitin for I assure you. Also after waiting so long it shows you are serious.

Beware! They are addictive... I'm collecting my third on Sunday!

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  12:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it's the luck of the draw as well, my dad was born and bred Here so creepy crawlies, snakes etc were of no bother to him. Much to my shame, my mam is Glaswegian so is hardened to everything. I brought an adder home to show her that we had caught once when I was about 7 or 8, her response was simply "that's nice, when you're done make sure you put it back."

The only thing you can do is persevere with your research and saving for bits for the snake for now. Most parents will also get put off because they normally have had the rabbit/guinea pig issue in the past, and they never want to run the risk with a snake.
Although snakes are different, they rarely become bored of. Except for royals, which are boring anyway. ;)

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  17:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, guys, there is a pet shop really near which I have been in twice, I always just find it awkward talking to them about it.. but we are having an extension which is the priority at the moment, so hopefully I might ask for some equipment for Christmas, and buy the snake with my own money. I am 13 by the way. Trying not to give out much details, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Sadie_Hunt
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  17:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also tried to persuade my family to let me get a snake, pretty much constantly from the age of 10, but they couldn't be persuaded :( Sooo now I am 20 and living away from home at Uni now and I am buying my first corn snake this week (fingers crossed)!

I think everyone has pretty much covered the best ways to do it - talk to them, educate them, show your responsible etc, so good luck :)!

1.0.0 Normal Corn Snake - Cornelius

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000