Help with Heating??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  18:32:04  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Technically this is for a Royal setup but on the basis no one has come back to me with the Royal Forum access so I cant post and this issue affects my Corn snake I thought I would ask here.

I have converted an old book case in to two vivs. on in the top has my corn and the one on the bottom I plan on putting a royal python in. I have a heat mat in my corn set up and on the advice of the guy in the shop I have bought a heat bulb to heat the Royal viv.

My problem is when the bulb is on for the royal it creates a hot spot in the corn heat mat that is hotter than the rest of the heat mat. Has anyone ever came accross this issue and how did you fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  18:36:39  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could use a bulb instead of a mat for your cornsnake. Make sure the bulbs for both snakes are on the same side. Then use the thermostats to get the correct temps for each snake.
Or you could try some form of insulation between the vivs.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  18:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont bother with a bulb for the corn, waste of money. Put a second shelf in, so the bottom viv has a separate roof from the corns floor, then shove some polystyrene sheet in there as insulation, alternatively, you can pin some tin foil, shiney side down and the heat will be reflected off the ceiling. Dont put the foil under the bulb holder though, if you do that you may electrify the tin foil, that would be bad!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  21:25:30  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heat transfer in stacks can be an absolute nightmare!

you can get ceramic bulb holders that are suspended, and use heat shields to try and reduce the hot spot in the viv above, that's what my OH does with his stack of carpet pythons heated with ceramics

i use another approach - i place a large piece of slate over the hot spot making it the size of a heatmat and let the ceramic heating my boa below heat the corn above. it's not ideal though as you can't control the temp in the upper viv.

and the only other answer i can come up with is to have the corn below the royal - the the heat transfer from the royal's bulb doesn't affect anything

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 24/09/2010 21:28:47
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  21:27:44  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh and you also need to leave plenty of time for the ceramic to get up to temp and for the temps to settle down

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  21:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had thought about putting them the other way round, except I already had the corn in the top and set up the royal before I realised I had a problem lol. Luckily I didnt already have my royal else this would have been a nightmare.

At the moment I have put a bathroom tile with tin foil under and the hot spot is now only 3 degrees hotter than the rest of the heat mat which is not too bad.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000