New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  11:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I haven't been on here for a while but knew it was the best place to come for some advice.

Well we've had Ossie for nearly a year now and he's great, it's still a fight to get him out of the viv but once he's out he'll let us hold him for a good while.

So we're thinking of getting another corn, the reptile shop have a baby snow which happens to be the snake i've wanted since we got Ossie.

I'm very very tempted to get him but as Ossie was a bit older i'm a bit unsure how to care for such as young snake, what sort of set up would we need as i know it would be too small for a viv straight away.

Also after reading the sticky thread about co-habiting i'm not sure what to do about that. the original plan was to eventually have them together but as there will be an age gap i'm not sure now.

Any advise would be great.
Thanks guys.

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See setting up a hatchling cornsnake 101 (sticky post. That really good using a faunarium. We have Delilah (12 weeks old) in a exo terra 30cm square vivarium as it had front opening doors and we felt she was getting stressed about our hands picking her up from above. We have made modifications to it - we took out the backing that it came with and replaced it with a plastic background surrounding 3 sides attached to the outside of the viv. We've also taped up the wire holes to avoid her escaping (she did appear on top of her viv whilst we were watching TV one evening - she wanted to join in I think)
Exciting stuff getting ready for a new one - good luck

Andy & Michelle
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Delilah)
1.1.0 Dogs (Rottie - Rocco, Staffie - Jinx)
1.0.0 Cat (Mr Darcy)
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:13:33  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt advise putting a hatchling with a bigger snake.. you may come home to a bulge in Ossie one day... eeek or it may stress the baby snakey out...

For my hatchling snow i have quite a simple set up, i use a small RUB, 2 hides on each end, water bowl and some fake leaves in there, heating wise i just use a heat mat under the rub covering just over a 1/3 of the rub and a thermostat connected to control the heat oh and digi thermometers to monitor all the heat as thermostats can be deceiving on their dials ;) hope that helps :)

Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:25:20  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree with FiestaSTLou on this 1 co-hab not good last thing you want is him dissapearing like spaghetti.plastic tub with a few holes top at least 1 hide n water bowl/dish.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FiestaSTLou

i wouldnt advise putting a hatchling with a bigger snake.. you may come home to a bulge in Ossie one day... eeek or it may stress the baby snakey out...

:)

Oh yeah i definitely wouldn't put them together for a long while, Ossie's quite big now so he'd probably scare the new one to death, lol.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2010 :  12:29:48  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with the others. Look at the sticky for setting up a faunarium. You won't go far wrong if you follow that. Please don't house them together.
If your local place has what you've been looking for I'd go for it..... no time like the present!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  03:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to help, the link to the thread on setting up a faun for a hatchling, definitely required reading - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

I know that you know better than to put your new snake in with Ossie straight away, but I really do hope that you continue to keep them separate. After reading that thread on co-habiting you obviously see the risks of putting them together eventually and it just isnt worth it. When we get a snake their health and welfare is our only concern, and putting more than one snake in a viv is not fulfilling our duties as an owner.....all it is doing is putting them at risk. Sorry Grace, you got me ranting , but, as you've seen by the thread, too many owners dont seem to care about the risk involved or their snakes....and I know you are not that sort of owner !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2010 :  08:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kellog,
Sorry it's taken a while to reply i can;t get on the internet at home at that moment so have had to sneak on at work, lol.
No i don't think i'd ever put them together now, it's not fair on Ossie, he's definitley a very private snake, he'll only let you see him when he wants to.
My folks have said they would get a new viv for the little one as a xmas present for my and my other half so there's no worries about his new home when he's ready.
Thanks for the link about setting up for a hatchling, i'll have a look at that and i'll let you all know when i get the new baby.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000