New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  11:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to check the advice i was given on feeding from my pet shop as some of the other things i was told have turned out to be questionable...

1. Shes 6months old (i would weigh her but she wont stay still long enough!) i was told to feed her a pinkie mice every 7 days. Some of the other posts on here say less than that?

2. Take her out of the viv (that part seems to be correct?). After feeding leave her out for a couple of hours? I would imagine she would much rather prefer to be put straight back in so she could go and hide?

She also seems to get really stressed out when i put her in a tub to feed her?

Cheers

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  11:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. I put my snakes in a small hatchling box to help weigh them. I feed my Hatchlings one pinkie every 5 days at the moment, but it's really personal preference I think?

2. I leave mine for about 15 minutes so that they calm down enough not to think I'm food when I put my hand in. Alternatively, as I use a small show sized box to feed them in, I just tip the box above their RUBs slightly and they usually find their own way back to go for a 48 hour sleep!

Claude

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  11:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a 3month old corn yesterday an was told to feed the owner said to fred him fuzzies.
Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  11:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmm...so should i be feeding mine fuzzies or should you be feeding yours pinkies? lol. Anybody?

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  12:01:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The size of the prey item depends on how thick the snake is.
Fuzzies sounds to much for a 3 month old corn. The ideal prey item to feed would be something that is fractionally thicker than the thickest part of their body, so if they're about 1cm thick then something between 1 and 1.5cm thick would be ideal, but not any thicker.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

chrish
Hatchling

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  12:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok cool. Ill stick with the pinkies for the moment then

0.0.1 Bloodred
0.1.0 Snow
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  12:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well il see if he takes them and if not il change to pinkies
Go to Top of Page

irish_python
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  14:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got jake on monday the girl said he wud feed on sat so tried him yesterday wif no luck thats every 7 days, i no its his 1st feed wif me so after reading the threads ere i will leave him til nxt sat wifout touching him and just change his water each day. just hope he will eat then
Go to Top of Page

liesela
Egg

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  14:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had Mytika just over a week now and handled him for the first time on thurs then fed him friday, he ate 2 pinkies so I was well impressd! I put paper towel in his viv and fed him on that, seemed ok so i'll probably keep doing that :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another reason they might not eat is if they are coming up to shed. i know the first time i went to feed my seth he wouldnt even entertain the idea, but the next day i got up and the was his old skin in there with him, then he fed easily.

Go to Top of Page

BHAFC72
Egg

61 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  12:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The feeding issue seems a bit of a grey area for me asell.Alot of forums have different views on when to feed young corns.Some say 1 pinkie a week while another says 1 pinkie 3-4 days.So i opted every 5 days and it works for me.One of my snakes takes 2 pinkies in a feed no problem.
Go to Top of Page

Stacii
Egg

80 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  13:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a 3 month old corn but she is a beastie and is big for the age and she had her first fuzzie yesterday (althouhg it didnt have any "fuz")vidoe is in the video section :)

Stacii xx

Casper - Ghost corn '10
Mist - Anery Corn - '07
Cherry - Normal Corn - '10
Amber - Amel Corn - '10
Willow - Normal Royal - '09
Star - Normal het Anery corn - '11
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2010 :  14:10:21  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its all down to personal preferance, i started feeding my 3 month old hatchie 1 pinkie every 5 days but she always seemed to want more so now iv uped to 2 pinkies every 5-7 days, shes around 1cm thick :)

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  22:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As it turns out mine was a 6 month corn he give me the wrong age but then emailed me yesterday. I feed my Snake 2 pinkies every 7 days is the plan for me, he is a greedy sod at the moment. Great watching your snake feeding for the first time. I happened to have 4 pinkies so when the run out I'm moving on to fuzzies with him. I think he can handle it. The shop owner was feeding him fuzzies.

Edited by - JackHutchy979 on 21/09/2010 22:19:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000