New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My soon to be 14 year old daughter has always been interested in reptiles and is a fountain of knowledge on most, she over the last few years has begged and begged for a corn snake, I always said no, as if I'm honest I'm a wee bit scared of them and always felt that this was to much responsibility for a child.

Now the advice I'm after is should I get her one, can a child look after and provide enough care for a snake. Are they spiteful? Do they bite and if so will it hurt her?

Thanks

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:28:14  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

i wasn't allowed a snake as a child and tbh, if i'd had one then i would probably have got bored with it and not had my adulthood obsession keeping the variety of reps i have now lol

that said, my children both have their own snakes but at 2 months old and nearly 4 years old, they're not responsible for the care of 'their' snakes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 09/09/2010 10:28:40
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:34:09  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello!

I guess 14 is a funny age... i was obsessed with certain animals and stuff but then a couple years down the line i wasn't... thing is corns can live for 20 years, will you want to look after it if she goes to uni/moves out etc and can't take it with her?

If she's really into reps etc perhaps is there a shop or someone you know who could use a hand like a work experience thing? I dunno how old you need to be to do those things! But she could get hands on with all sorts of reps and might do for now :)

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:46:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
having said that, they can make great pets i'd recommend getting a yearling that's used to being handled and in a regular feeding routine, you also get a good idea of their adult colouring

i personally find hatchies to fast and flighty and they can try an nip although they won't do any damage, with a yearling you still get to see them grow

as MM said above though, who will look after it if your daughter does go away to college/uni? basically are you happy to take on the care and feeding etc (i'm sure you'd get used to it and get addicted like the rest of us lol) or would you both be happy to sell it on in a few years time?

Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:49:07  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds like your daughter has a real interest in reptiles if she's learnt so much about them. Obviously only you can decide if she's likely to make a long term commitment to keeping a snake. However corns are about as easy as they come and are ideal as a first time purchase. They don't grow too big, they have an incredibly placid temperament, they are easy to keep and don't require complicated UV light or humidifiers, and if they do bite their teeth are so small it's unlikely they would even break the skin. Corn snake teeth are designed to hook into rodents fur when they strike. They kill by constricting rather than biting. They suffer from few diseases and basic care consists of changing a water bowl every day or so, feeding them once a week and cleaning them out and changing the bedding each month. The only thing some people have an issue with is feeding them. They eat defrosted mice which can be kept sealed in a Tupperware box at the back of the freezer. Also you can leave them on their own for extended periods so all going off for a long weekend break is not going to require making provisions for someone looking after your pet.

Personally I think your lucky she wants a corn snake. She might have been begging for a pony!!!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  10:52:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregDT

Personally I think your lucky she wants a corn snake. She might have been begging for a pony!!!

very true lol

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  11:47:17  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My brother had a king snake when he was about the same age and he lost interest in it after a year and my mum ended up having to look after it, despite being terrified of snakes!

My girlfriend was a bit scared of my snake at first but she soon got confident with her, she even picked her up on her own for the first time last night I'm sure if you get a hatchling/yearling it will grow on you! There's not really anything to be scared of and they are facinating pets.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  11:59:42  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At 14 I think she would take good care of a snake. Especially if she is so interested in reptiles already. Corn snakes are relatively small and easy to care for aswell. If she's been begging for a few years this shows it isnt just a little fad for her, as I was the same when I was that age.

Just beware, she will want more...haha
also before you promise her anything make sure you can afford the entire set up, my mom didn't realise how much it would all cost but I insisted on buying the majority of stuff myself anyway

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:20:42  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
very true lol

and yes im still begging and pleading and i have been after one since i was about 8/9 and im 19 now and still no luck but im determined.

as 4 a snakie at 14... if she is dedicated enough and knows all there is to know and is possitive she can look after it in the next 20yrs or so then why not. corns are great pets i had my first one when i was 15 and then for my 16th birthday and so on it grew rather quickly. i had always wanted a snakie and i was over the moon with shikira (ma 1st) and i still am 3 nearlly 4 yrs later. Although i was lucky enough that my mum did look after them when i went to college (but it was only a 12wk course) and a few times when i moved away for work but there prob the biggest things to think about as she is young depending what she wants to do with her life/ career?

anyway am guna stop blabbing and welcome to the forum by the way and if you do decide to get one for her, it wont be long before you fall in love lol. good luck.

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for all your advice...... :) Must say after doing some research am coming around to the idea, whilst I have picked and held snakes before I'm a believer that it is more a calling, it either floats your boat of doesn't and perhaps after time I will have the confidence to hold Cornelius, (yep she has named it already)!!!
Many Thanks

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:33:36  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think she probably would be very devoted to a snake. The big issue here is what happens if she goes off to uni and can't take the snake with her. Are you happy to look after it for her? If you get to know the snake then I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem looking after it at all. They really are super creatures!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  12:51:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The truth is that buying a pet for a child (even at 14) means that the Adult is going to have to accept that at best they are going to be a support carer for the animal at worst they will be looking after it in a few weeks/months. The up side of keeping a corn is that they need little from you as long as you do your research first! As long as their viv is set up right cleaned once a month fed once a week, spot cleaned for poo ! and have access to fresh water that's it. Corns don't mind handling but they aint like dogs or cats that need daily attention. The down size is as others have said it is a long term commitment. If you think you can cope if you end up being primary carer I say go for it. There are two many unwanted "fluffy" pets around where parents have persuaded thier kids to have a hamster instesd of a snake lol.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  14:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we too were in the same position you are last year, our then 9yr old son had pestered us all year for a corn snake and we kept saying NO!! I'm ok with snakes but hubby is terrified of them, we eventually gave in and got him one for Xmas last year, Since we have had him we have all become besotted with him, hubby couldn't hold him at first but now is happy to get him out and hold him and let him slide all over him. Still a bit wary but were really lucky as our snake has never hissed, bit, or struck out at any of us.
All i will say is you know your own daughter and if you feel she is responsible enough to look after one then let her but be prepared to be hooked yourself!! lol I'm in the process of trying to talk hubby into letting me have one now so i can have my own..lol not going very well though as were just in the process of building Steve's forever home and hubby is spending more and more money on him..lol
They are really easy to care for and as long as you don't mind having mice in your freezer then go for it!!

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000