Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rob-mitton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  17:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Got a 3' Viv coming in the next week or so. I thought I'd settled on getting a Corn Snake (wasn't bothered about colours so long as it was tame and healthy).

Called to a place called wheelgate farm. My daughter loves the place and they've just opened a reptile house. Got talking to the handler in there and he said a king was easier to tame than a Corn.

Just been to another place today. Now I agree with what the guy said about starting off with a tame grown snake. But he showed me a Milk snake and it was lovely.

Now I'm confused as hell and don't know where to start. All the info I've seen on here is very helpfull and everybody seems very friendly. I'm hoping you can help me out guys. My wife isn't very into this at the moment, but the snakes for me not her. I Think i've settled on a grown on snake. Now it's just a case of which one :(

Thanks for any help you guys can give me in advance. I'm really getting to the point where I want to get my Snake :)

Cheers

Rob

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  17:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you've got a 3ft viv, then a snake that's at least 3ft long will be better for it.
As for being easier to 'tame' a king compared to a corn, that is highly debatable.
As it stands no snake really gets tame, they just become tolerant of being handled but the the sake of ease to explain everyone calls it tame.
I'd still say a corn is always the best snake as a starter snake as when they're handled regularly they seem to enjoy coming out of the viv for a handle and similar, Kings do as well, but they are known for being a bit more feisty sometimes which can put a lot of first time snake-keepers off.
There are pros and cons for each snake, but as I said; The best starter snake in my eyes would be a corn.

We do have our sister site for kingsnakes over at www.thekingsnake.co.uk as well, have a browse on there and look at the info on that site and you'll see and read about the differences.

And welcome to the forum.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  17:46:42  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
I had much the same dilema as you.
I decided, after a lot of research, to go for a cornsnake.
I'm really pleased I did because I couldn't be happier with my choice. Hissin-Sid is a lovely boy.
He was just about a year old when I got him and he went into a 3' viv with no problem. So maybe you could consider a yearling or adult.
Have a look round, ask to handle a few snakes of different ages then you will have a better idea of what you are taking on.
Good luck and keep us updated!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  19:07:43  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think personally corn snakes I nicer as a first snake, Ive held several of both kinds now and I think corns just seem to feel more at ease and comfortable for a first snake, I suggest you maybe do the same and see how you feel, but corns just to me feel more "right" if there is such thing.
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  19:22:27  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome!
I can't give any advice cus I've never held a king, but whatever you descide to get I hope you enjoy it :)
and your wife will proberbly come round to loving it too!

Go to Top of Page

drchino
Yearling

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  00:56:04  Show Profile  Visit drchino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My brother had a king when we were younger and he was a bit of a handful. But to be fair, my brother lost interest in him and he rarely got handled so turned a bit aggressive after a while.

0.1.0 Izzy - Amber Motley Corn
0.2.0 White rats - Rose and Myra
0.0.1 Crested Gecko - Yoshi
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  04:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi an welcome, I have both corns and kings and i would reinforce what Kehhlyr has said, while kings can be handled easily enough they may not tame down to the same level as a corn, Kings have more of a mind of their own specially at feeding time. Corns are ideal as a first snake they are generally more docile and inquisitive.

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  10:34:12  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  15:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
personally id go with a corn - i have corns and a king and whilst i love simba hes a real handful compared to the corns, fair enough hes 3ft and a fair bit heavier than the corns but i do think i would have been a bit intimidated if he had been my first rep

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  09:26:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

corns and kings are both pretty easy to care for but kings do generally come with a bit more attitude

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love my corns and would thoroughly recommend them for a first snake. If I were you though I would visit a couple of rep shops and handle a few different ones, corns and kings, as all snakes have different temperaments.

Wheelgate farm? Is that the one near white post farm?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

rob-mitton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  13:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the one. Needs a few quid spending on the place, but it's great for my 4 year old daughter.

Just having a battle with the wife as i don't think she's very happy at the idea of a snake in the house. lol.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  13:33:38  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tell your wife that snakes will cost her far less than a beauty salon....they give the most amazing hand massages!!! REALLY

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  16:35:30  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember when it was Wonderland. I haven't been since it changed to Wheelgate as my kids are a bit old for it now but I still love White Post Farm.

Explain to your wife how much friendlier they are than small furries, how much less mess they make and how they need cleaning out less often. I would choose snakes over a hamster or rabbit any day lol. Then tell her it's either a snake or a rat lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  20:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having both, and having had a king as a first snake, I would be more inclined to get a corn first, kings and milks are much the same, but are different! They are feisty, certainly as younger snakes, and may well take longer to calm than a corn, on the whole kings are generally more aggressive, they have bigger balls, and can get quite nasty. Corns calm within weeks of handling regularly, whereas kings can take months. My king doesn't get handled as he won't calm down and constantly musks on me, which corns don't do, they do not have musk glands, but they can certainlypoopon you, which is equally delightful.
Welcome to the forum too.......

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  09:16:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

My king doesn't get handled as he won't calm down and constantly musks on me, which corns don't do, they do not have musk glands, but they can certainlypoopon you, which is equally delightful.

pmsl @mike

sorry

Go to Top of Page

rob-mitton
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  18:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, thatnks for all the info guys. I've settled on what I want. Just the wife to sort out. That could take a while cos she's a stubborn so and so, lol.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  19:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd try alcohol first then lol

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000