New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  23:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heya,

So i've had my female corn for 4 years now, she's my only corn, and has never been with a male - as far as i know!

I have no idea what's up with her, but she hasn't passed faeces in 3 weeks, and this weekend refused her food. She's fed in a separate tank with nothing on the floor, no bark chips or anything. She is showing VERY early signs of shedding, but I may be seeing things - she takes on an oily sheen and the skin has linear lines in it when caught in the light - this is all normal signs of her about a week before she starts going blue eyed etc.

So yeh, possible shed, will hopefully know by monday if she is actually entering a shed. 4 weeks ago she went to the loo twice, then then took a rat (usually on mice) and has now not pooped since. she does however, still pass urates. if she's passing urates, does this rule out impaction?

Someone on another forum suggested shes gravid, but as far as i know, the only possible way this is, is through self fertilisation.. unless shes carrying infertile eggs.

visually, she looks gravid - i have never bred corns, I only have this one, but her belly in the last 3rd is "swollen" subtely - this could just be 3 weeks of food. I've tried gently massaging the area, not hard balls or anything that would cause a blockage. I cant feel if they are individual eggs, or just digested mouse.

What are the signs of impaction in terms of passing urate? is not pooping a sign of being gravid? like i said, she still passes urate, and i cant find a blockage.. I've tried soaking her in warm water - she just passes urate, no faeces.

I think, if there are no further signs of shedding, I'll phone the vet on monday. please please please, as many opinions as possibly! she was my first snake, and I really will do anything for her..

a last note - shes not regurgitating, shes not lethargic, limp, or anything like that.. shes also not agressive - i would assume she would be if she was stressed or in pain from a blockage..

cheers guys,
Josh

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:10:38  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think if I were in your position then I'd probably be heading to the reptile vets for an ultrasound as you can see some swelling. So it would appear to either be impaction or gravid.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:20:32  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I think if I were in your position then I'd probably be heading to the reptile vets for an ultrasound as you can see some swelling. So it would appear to either be impaction or gravid.

agreed. Its possible for a female to produce infertile 'slugs' without ever going near a male so this could be a possibility

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  23:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and do you guys know whether passing urate discounts impaction as a cause?
cheers,
josh
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  06:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Passing urates is different, there are no solids until it contacts air. Feeding her a rat wouldn't impact her alone.
When you bath her, how much water do you use?
The vet is looking like a favourable option at the moment.

Just be ready, when she does drop that lot its gonna be a wallpaper peeler!

Go to Top of Page

crazysnakeman
Snake Mite

42 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  17:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmmmmmm ok, usually it doesnt quite cover her whole back, little bit pokes above the water, try to keep it fairly warm for the time shes in there too..
josh
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000