United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  20:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all what would be the best way to get unshed skin my little corn

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  20:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are a few ways to get rid of unshed skin. First try letting it slither through a damp flannel or towel to see if that helps loosen it, or even remove it.

Secondly you can let it sit in a RUB with about 1CM of warm water, which should help it slough it off. Have it go through a towel to help it along if necessary.

Or you can bathe it in the bath, or a suitable sized RUB/Bowl. Most people don't like this method though as it can stress the snake so I'd suggest using it as a last resort =]

Good luck!

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  20:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that! how long do you think i shud leave her with it she has got a bit more off in the last 10 min or so
Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  21:37:24  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How long should you leave her with retained shed? I'd say let her try to finish over night, then if there's still some left just give her a go with the towel or a shallow soaking. I did the soaking once with my Royal, it was just a really bad shed, and it went really well. I ended up having to get his eye caps off myself with damp cotton buds though.

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  22:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bath one of my snakes, and she shows no distress at all. A small rub with a flannel in the bottom, and 1cm of barely tepid water, and let her climb out when she's had enough. Her first shed with me was shocking - I tried the bath trick before the second (once her eyes had cleared) and she shed perfectly, so have bathed her again today as she's on the point ... she climbed out of the bath and 10 minutes later had dunked the top third of herself in her water bowl and was drinking like a fish ... seems to be getting a taste for bathing!

My royal had a lousy shed, just after I got him, despite big water bowl and damp hide, and I had to do the same for him, but help the skin off him; he used a bit of language, but soon relaxed.

They are all different, of course.
Go to Top of Page

tony81
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  20:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks fot the info peeps . I put a damp box in over night she had most of it off when i popped in during work i took the last bit off when i got in tonight.
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  20:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good, congrats, that's good to hear!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2010 :  23:50:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i spent an hour yesterday helping 3 hatchlings to complete their first sheds - they had a soak and the skin came off with some gentle help. If you have to do this, never pull at the skin, it can be painful for the snake

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000