New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In theory, could I use ONE thermostat (Lucky Reptile Thermo Contol II) to control THREE heat mats, via a plug splitter?

If I use the built in thermometer to control the temp on one mat, it'll keep the same temp (roughly) on the other two, right? I know each heat mat will be slightly different than the other, but I'll buy identical models so shouldn't vary too much.

Not sure I can afford to spend £80 on another two stats at the minute!

1.0.0 Snow - Claude
1.1.0 Carolina - Heidar and Suki

WISH LIST - Fire, Sulpher

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N.B I'm about to purchase two new corns. And by 'slightly different than the other' I mean temperature, not make or model :)

1.0.0 Snow - Claude

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One stat to control 3 mats is fine, so long as mats are the same. I would also recommend that you have a thermometer in each viv just to keep an eye on temps.

I use one stat to control 4 mats in my viv stack and there is not even a degree difference between the 4 mats.

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/index.php as they have cheaper mat stats on there =]

I would say just stick with individual stat's to each mat as it'll lower any chance of things going wrong, although I'm sure someone will be along to let you know whether or not it actually works :)

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers guys. It'll just be temporary until I can afford more stats. Not cheap are they!

1.0.0 Snow - Claude

Go to Top of Page

Scarlett
Hatchling

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Scarlett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely not lol, just ordered some more myself. Although I find BlueLizardsReptiles slightly cheaper which is good =]

0.0.1 Amel Corn -Ember.
1.0.0 Bloodred Corn - Loki.
0.0.1 MBK - Apollo.
1.1.0 Cats - Moggy and Pretty Girl.
0.0.1 Royal Python - Odin R.I.P 20/6/10.
Wishlist = Pied Sided Bloodred, Anery Stripe, Coral Stripe, Bloodred, Green Blotched Snow,
Strawberry Snow Stripe.

Location = Chatham, Kent.
Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah some good deals on there, thanks for the tip :)

1.0.0 Snow - Claude

Go to Top of Page

Claude
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

One stat to control 3 mats is fine, so long as mats are the same. I would also recommend that you have a thermometer in each viv just to keep an eye on temps.

I use one stat to control 4 mats in my viv stack and there is not even a degree difference between the 4 mats.

How do you measure temp, on the surface of the substrate or the heat mat itself? My stats sensor sits on the surface of the substrate at the moment.

1.0.0 Snow - Claude

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best to be directly on the mat itself

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can control as many mats as you want, so long as the combined wattage does not exceed the maximum rating of the stat. I would assume they are designed for this seeing as most stats are rated either 300w or 600w.
I run 8 mats off one stat on one rack, and 7 on another.
The only protection value you lose is if one of those mats goes wrong and over heats.

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  07:39:56  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do you get 1 thermostat to run a few heat mats?

I've got a Habistat PP Thermostat which runs one mat, how do I get it to run 2 heatmats?

Thanks.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  10:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plug an extension lead into the stat and plug the mats into the extension, its important that the mats are identical, because of the different power ratings.

Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read this thread and am confused. The whole argument for having stats is to deal with rogue temps by individual mats. If the mats do what they are supposed to they will produce a constant heat, it is only local conditions that will change the resulting temps in the Viv and on a day to day basis the Stat switches the mat on and off to maintain the set temp. If it operates off its own probe it will only respond to conditions in that particular Viv. This is ok if all the Vivs have the same external conditions and can of course be checked manually with thermometers in each Viv. It will not respond to local changes or a faulty mat in the Vivs, other than the one with it's own probe. I don't think I have got this wrong but I am sure someone will put me right if I have.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:57:28  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you think of it like this...the stat works by the probe sensing the temperature of the mat. When it reaches a certain temp the stat shuts off the power until the mat cools to the point where it switches on again. So in theory if all the mats controlled by the stat are exactly the same model size and power etc and assuming all mats are switched on at the same time and functioning correctly then in theory all the mats plugged into the stat should work in the same way and therefore maintain the same temps.
However having had bad experiences with mats and stats i would always use individual stats for individual heaters in case one overheated or went wrong and took out my whole set up as a result. Plus of course if the stat fails then you loose heating in all your vivs instead of one. Yes you can do it and prob get away with it but i wouldnt but in my case i only have two snakes coz thats all i can afford.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 06/10/2010 16:08:36
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  09:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks elament confirms what I thought this only works if all Vivs have the same environmental conditions and all the heatmats are working exactly the same (and not malfunctioning) otherwise you are back to relying on checking the temps manually via the thermometers in each Viv. If people have been using this set up succesfully for a long time it just goes to show that in general mats provide a very safe consistant heat. Not saying you should not stat them as a precaution but do wonder about some of the panicky posts on here about unstated mats. Just a thought would be interested in others views.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:38:08  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I wouldnt go that far to be honest. I once spoke to eurorep (habistat) about this and they said that their mats arnt designed to exceed certain tempratures but in all honesty i have seen evidence to the contrary so I personally would never leave a mat unstatted. The same applies with me to stats as well I have had some pretty bad experiences with stats which is why I make sure all my vivs have their own stats as the damn things do go wrong no matter what the manufacturer says.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  11:11:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

...do wonder about some of the panicky posts on here about unstated mats.

in the case of multiple mats running off one stat the mats are all 'statted' and will be switching on and off or running at a fraction of their power (depending on the type of stat used) and thereforte not running flat-out at full power all the time.

as mike already pointed out, in the case of a fault however, this would only be picked up on the mat with the probe.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 07/10/2010 11:12:28
Go to Top of Page

bigal
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  14:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sort of what I am trying to say. Clearly it is better to have a stated mat than not. Multiple mats on one stat are however responding to the local conditions from the probe, if peoples experience is that this works and all the mats maintain much the same temperature it does suggest that on the whole they are fairly reliable.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  15:32:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in an ideal world, every mat would have its own stat, bit sometimes thats not really viable.
on one of my racks, i have 7 heatmats, thats on one rack!! on another rack i have 6 heatmats, so i would in theory need 13 stats just for those 2 racks, forgetting the other 9 i have running.
Sometimes its not really viable to have a stat on every single mat, i agree that it defeats part of the stats purpose, but it still maintains the originally designed purpose of regulating a set temp.
having 3 mats run off a stat will maintain those mats at the same temperature, irrelevant of the viv surroundings, one viv may get warmer than the other because its better insulated, or whatever, but the core temp of the mat will be the same, its receiving the same power as the others, and, of course assuming they are all identical, therefore should, and would, barring any faults, maintain a constant correct temp.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  03:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigal

........but do wonder about some of the panicky posts on here about unstated mats.

Glad you have said that it is better to have a statted mat than not, bigal. You just have to read 'Do I need a thermostat?', which has some upsetting pics, to see how important it is to have one and to understand why we react strongly to people with unstatted mats.

I am no expert but I would think the most important point about running a number of mats off of 1 stat is that each viv is monitored with a digital thermometer so that you can always know the exact temp in each viv to ensure that everything is working correctly. I dont think that you can necessarily assume that the mats are reliable and can go unmonitored.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000