Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  18:35:07  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know what on earth is happening now... I don't have the snake here, because my brother in law is being an asshole, and doesn't want to just give me the snake now... he wants me to pay 100 quid for the snake aswell and all the equipment, which I can't and won't do. So frustrated. He's being such a ****. But it's out of my power now :( the snake won't last much longer, and I cant do anything to help it! All because he cares more about money than the welfare of an animal!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taz your brother in law is an idiot, I think its time to take mikes offer of the number of the guy at the RSPCA, the snake cant go on like this an is being treated cruelly in my opinion. Taz you have tried to sort it out but he is more interested in the money than the snakes welfare he must be reported now and get the snake off his hands and somewhere where it will be looked after,

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  19:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send me an email, i will let keith know. i will put you in touch with him, he will get in touch with your local guy, and he will be dealt with.
Annoyingly, the rspca cannot do anything without the police being involved. In which case, it might be worht saying to your brother in law that you are going to contact the rspca and the police in a view to having the snake seized. He will also most likely get prosecuted too. maybe some scare tactics will work.

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a nob grrr I'm just a little concerned that he would harm the snake rather than letting to rspca take it away as it sounds like he has no morals or respect for the poor animal...but well done for trying your best taz.

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  20:26:54  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm getting the boa this weekend... if it's not too late for the poor thing I'm gonna try and save it.. any ideas on how to help his dehydration??? Thanks x
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  21:50:58  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so glad your finally getting it, hoping for the best.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  00:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dehydration is a fairly easy fix, snakes can absorb water through their skin, so a good misting, raise the humidity, regular baths can help.
Bathing is something they dont particularly like, but sounds like a necessary evil.
another good way is using something like powerade, that has a lot of good stuff in it (its too late to think of the right things!!) that will help rehydrate.
Dont go too mad with the misting, the last thing you need is an RI, its very different in boas than to corns.
the main thing is to get the snake back, even if it involves your brother losing consciousness.
Boas are a very easy snake to keep once the environment is right, or within a margin of right.
i really suggest using a bulb, on a dimmer, as that will give the right AIR temp for the snake, dont forget, being a tropical animal, the air temp will be quite high, as would the humidity, but dont bother about that, they dont really need it as such.
A dimmer at about 29 degrees for the first week will be a good start, then up to about 32 from then on, a good 60w reflector bulb will give a good heat spread in the viv, and a really good hot spot for basking. Basking temps can be really hot, like 40 degrees up, mine have a basking spot of about 42 degrees, and they love it. A good sign of a well set up viv, temp wise, is the snakes constantly moving about, not staying at the hot end, and not staying at the cold end.
Using a bulb will give you a really good spread of temps across the viv, a heatmat just cannot give you that, ever, no matter what you do with it.
you can use a ceramic if you so wish, but its cheaper and just as effective to use a bulb.
Use a red bulb, red is beyond their vision spectrum, so it wont bother them at all. obviously a guard is essential, they WILL climb on it.
Try not to be tempted to give the snake a huge water bowl that it can soak in, atleast not yet, something like a food bowl for small animals is ideal to begin with. keep handling to a minimum, at least until the snake is feeding and re hydrated properly, a grumpy boa is not something you want to be playing with, i can assure you of that!!! if you wanna know what its like, see my 'happy boa' thread!!

Go to Top of Page

taz666
Egg

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:05:39  Show Profile  Click to see taz666's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
omg thank you so much, that's really helpful :D I will remember all that, and get what I need to help him.. and see how it goes :) thanks again x
p.s. apparently he only eats live food, and I don't really wanna keep him that way, how can I make it so he takes dead ones? Tried feeding him a dead mouse couple of week ago, but no joy..
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  21:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live feeding is an issue that you can overcome with relative ease, boas are really good feeders generally and when hungry enough they will eat.
The thing is, if his temps and habitat aren't right, he's not gonna want to feed much anyway. With that in mind its perhaps going to be more productive not to feed him at all for a couple of weeks whilst the temps get back up to what he would be happy with. Once temps are up you may find he is more active, and perhaps becomes aggressive, but that will pass.
Also, if he is underweight, then live feeding is possibly a good way to get the weight back on, seeing as he is already used to and happy to feed that way.
The main thing to do is get him back to yours and get his environment sorted, then worry about feeding.
My number is in my profile, if you need help, ring me.

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2010 :  14:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really happy your getting the boa now...how is the little guy doing?

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000