Handling new corn snake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ive just bought my kids a baby corn snake, he is really cute and called CORNetto! Named by the kids!
Ive read the forum info (which is all really useful thanks)it said to handle your snake 10/15min per day not including feeding days (+48hrs) and shedding. Does it do them any harm to handle them more frequently as to be honest we cant get enough of him. Cornetto appears to be very good natured and calm which makes handling him very relaxing and soothing!He has definately fitted into the family beautifully! Im not an animal person but even i love him already!

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:20:14  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. :) Corn snakes really are wonderful sorry I cant help with your question but I know you should leave your corn snake a week after moving into its new home before handling because of stress. Good luck with learning and enjoying your new snake. :D
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  14:45:42  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,i would take it slow at first as they dont really enjoy it as such,just tolerate it,you can increase it as it gets older because the last thing you want to do is stress it.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  16:20:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Great news that you've got a wee snake. They're lovely pets.
To be honest I'd try to keep the handling to just a couple of 5-10 minutes sessions for the first couple of weeks at least. Then maybe up the number of sessions gradually. I know it's very difficult, especially with a placid snake, but I'm sure you don't want to stress the little guy out too much!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

rachiepotatoe
Hatchling

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  17:29:47  Show Profile  Click to see rachiepotatoe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome :)
I agree with the above, for the first few weeks handle him once a day for 5-10 minutes. When He's settled in nicely you can become more frequent. I found no problems with handling my baby corn twice a day for 5-10 minutes. You don't want to over do it though, especially if he's around children all of the time he may start to feel stressy. If he's reluctant to come out leave him be :) I used to handle baby doyle 5 minutes in a morning and 5 minutes after college. Now he's a year old he will happily crawl over the place for 20 minutes. It's hard not to keep getting them out when they're so fascinating!

also, Fantastic name! :D

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2010 :  21:51:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, welcome to the forum.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2010 :  10:55:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page