help corn snake gone mad
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  14:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi can any one out there help ive recently rescued a corn snake wich wasnt being looked after properly when i got her she was very placid but now i cant go into viv without her strikeing at me i have changed her diet b4 i got her she was being feed a chick cut into 3 pieces and fed 1 bit a week i didnt think that was suitible so im now feeding her mice i started 1 every 5 days but now she is hungry after 3 days is she just bulking herself up or being greedy can someone out there help i really need some advice im not new 2 keeping snakes have had diffrent snakes over a period of 20yrs and neva seen behavior like this

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  14:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you give more details like age and what size mice she is on? does she keep looking for more food once she has been fed? also how long have you had her? and how long after you getting her did she start this behavior? was she striking out before you got her, or was she quite placid?

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.

Edited by - n/a on 24/08/2010 14:28:02
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive had her about a month its only been the last week shes started behaving like this she about 3ft dont now how old i dont think she more than about a year i feed her on med size mice as she a bit on skinny side she eat them no prob she doesnt start looking 4 more food straight away
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  14:33:15  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im not a expert so cant really offer any advice but i really hope you can get it sorted, our rescue was opposite, kept striking first few times but is now placid and lovely to handle. im sure someone on here can help u tho :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  14:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm no expert hun but hopefully someone who is can give you helpful advice, when do snakes come into season? i'm a new snake keeper so not sure of breeding times.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  16:13:22  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome shazza. I am no expert but just a couple of queries to help the more experienced to give their opinions. Do you feed in the viv or out of it as if you feed in the viv she may be expecting food when you put your hand in. Are you still feeding every 5 days? I would have thought a medium mouse every 7 days should be enough. Chicks wouldnt have been a suitable diet as they aren't nutritious enough. But then 3ft for a year old corn does seem quite big so maybe she had been fed other things previously. I guess it is always possible that when you first got her she was being shy and now she has settled in, she is coming out of her shell abit more.
Hope that makes sense. Any information you can give on size, weight, temps, feeding routine, habitat etc can all help the experts to give you the good advice they are well known for on here.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally double what you're feeding her, but still feed her weekly, make sure her viv is in a quiet area of the house with no or little passing 'traffic' and ignore her for a month bar feeding, watering and spot cleaning...............

she's probably just hungry and stressed out right now. i bet she's been craving a decent meal for ages! the 'aggressive' (ok, just a bit narky really lol) corns i've had had settled down when they put on weight and had plenty of chance to settle into their new surroundings

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 24/08/2010 16:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  09:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought - maybe she's been really nervous ever since you got her but didn't have the energy to fight before due to the poor feeding. Now she's getting stronger she's trying to protect herself. Hopefully with some quiet time like GP has said, she will calm down. Good luck.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  10:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be the case that she wasnt heated properly either, the fact that she is so skinny shows why feeding chicks is a bad idea, and its very good that shes happily moved onto mice. As above, try her on 2 mice a week, dont be put off by the striking, even if she does get you, its not gonna hurt much, its just the shock of it!!

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  10:26:20  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
put some gloves on, we followed the advice on here when we first got our rescue, we let her settle for a week or so then when we first got her out she was striking, but we then used gloves the next few times and didnt give up even if she did strike, she did strike out a few times, but now she knows we wont give up even if she strikes and shes now tame as a baby and hasnt gone to bite since :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000