Mites!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  20:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got home this morning noticed little critters running all over my corn. I have stripped and disinfected the viv bathed sammy in warm water (what fun that was lol) put paper down i have been reading that using diluted frontline is the way to go but how do you dilute it and which is the best one to use dog, cat or is there a reptile frontline ?

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  21:20:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you read the stickies in this section? There is a few different things for treating mites and one of them is about frontline, if you haven't it may be worth a little read of that.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  21:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7963 thats a sticky about treating with frontline
Theres another two stickys about mites as well:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7964
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  21:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my royal got mites recently. we used mite off and bathed him in oil and water. didnt take all that long to clear. but took everything out of his viv and had him on kitchen towel for a few weeks.

its kinda where i excelled being that the OH calls me a superfreak when i start cleaning

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  09:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, i wouldnt use frontline on the snake, i know of animals that have died afterwards.
Frontline the viv, no dilution, let it then dry. Bathe the snake in water and fairy liquid for about 30 minutes, making sure there is enough water for the snake to be completely submerged. Once done, you will notice a lot of mites on the bottom of whatever you bathed him in, thats good.
Once bathed, dry him off, put him back in the viv and see how you go, if you see anymore, repeat the bathing process, but not the frontlining, frontline stays active for about 3 months and will kill mites that touch it.
When treating the viv, make sure you do the glass sliders, air vents, and up the sides too, get it everywhere.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  16:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike when you say use frontline on the viv undiluted which one do you mean the spay from the vet's as i am unable to get that
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  10:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the spray, its been by far the best stuff i have used for the vivs. Why cant you get it? ask the vet for it, or see if a friend with a cat can get some for you.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  16:40:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frontline spray is now POM (prescription only medication) so you won't be able to get it without the vet seeing your pet in the last 6-12 months (dependant on the surgery's policy, where i work its 12 months for flea/worm treatments)

of course i couldn't actually condone mike's suggestion of getting round the laws!!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  16:41:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh, and it's the SPRAY NOT PIPETTES!!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, you don't wanna know how I actually get it then!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  19:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frontline is the best stuff I have used, in fairness though, its the only treatment for the vivs I have used, I haven't had to change that.
I have used proventamite, that's good for clearing too, but I don't know how long its active for, it contains permethrin which is a nerve agent, its very effective against mites. I have used callingtons too, which seems to work, but I use in conjuction with frontline, so maybe just the frontline working!
As for the snakes, I always bathe in warm water with fairy liquid in it.
Mostly, once is enough with that combo.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  09:22:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

there's always ways around the system lol just not sure if i'd be putting my job on the line if i broadcast them on tinterweb

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Prob off the net

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  17:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No point risking jobs, its not that difficult to sort out!!
I just ask for it, the vet sends it to me via courier, same with other bits I need for the snakes, he knows I know how to use the stuff I get, and I never get stuff that I haven't even see him for in the past. Obviously there is stuff he would never give, but then I wouldn't ask for it!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  19:34:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the Front-line Spray that you spray about your house on carpets and stuff needing a prescription? If so that is very weird. Maybe there is something like frontline spray that you can get without a prescription?

There's some ready made "mite off" mix that some rep company makes that you can get without prescription, never used it myself but I know it comes in a spray bottle.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

25 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2010 :  19:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:

there's always ways around the system lol just not sure if i'd be putting my job on the line if i broadcast them on tinterweb

POM bought on the internet and imported into the UK is perfectly legal as long as you don't buy more than deemed to be a three month supply usually the value of £142 iirc. Anyway my ARDAP turned up to day but found somewhere to buy my frontline spray and it's pretty cheap so i think i'll buy a bottle just incase

Edited by - n/a on 27/08/2010 19:41:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000