New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  12:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Afternoon All,

I have a small concern with my corn snake and was wondering if you guys n gals could give me some advice.

I have a Carolina corn snake, who is 11 months old and is really close to his 1 year birthday . i have started to notice for the past couple of days that his underbelly is really soft and squidqy, and there is a very small but promounced sag underneath his muscular body.

The best way i can explain it, is it looks like the carpet of a hovercraft when it has air underneath it.

He is a very active snake, and loves his new vivarium. He gets fed once a week on 12g of food. His current length and weight are:

26 inchs in Length
92g in Weight

So a friend of mine who keeps corns, has suggested that my snakie is overweight and I need to switch to feeding him once a fortnight instead. The only other conclusion i came to, was he might be dehydrated? I change his water daily and use normal tap water. Should i be adding something to his water, or not using tap water?

Of course i might just be paranoid

Thank you for taking the time to read this and all comments and suggestions are welcome

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  13:26:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any chance you could upload a pic? It will help others to see if the problem is his weight, although im afraid i personally can't help you

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  14:02:28  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like a porker!

12g weekly for a 92g snake is quite a lot, try reducing the size of the food item but still feed weekly

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  13:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You dont need to feed fortnightly, just a little less per week. Young snakes grown fast and any baby fat will soon be used up no problem.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  13:49:25  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

You dont need to feed fortnightly, just a little less per week. Young snakes grown fast and any baby fat will soon be used up no problem.

Mike, on the subject of feeding, how many mice including pinkies, do you use up per week?

Sully

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 19/08/2010 22:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Mike, on the subject of feeding, how many mice including pinkies, do you use up per week?

Sully

Amazingly on topic regarding the original posters query.

Generally with most threads we tolerate (for some reason) thread-jacking, but on health ones we want it to stay on topic. Thanks.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

434 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  19:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 4 year old corn is like that nd i thought he must have been under weight :S xx

Megg :) xxx

Creamsickle Corn Snake- Tangoo (Ginge) :)

would love to have a granite corn snake but unfortunately not allowed cuz mum hates snakes haha :P x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000