Scale damage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  11:49:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if he's caught a scale by going backwards or if it's because he has lost weight or not. Friday night the area was normal, Saturday morning it was damaged. It's like a dimpled in but also raised at the edges? I'm a bit of a worry nut, I'm not sure if it will heal fine on it's own or if to put him on some kitchen roll or not, it looks a bit pink as the edge of the scale but that's it really, it doesn't look like the area has been bleeding. Is their any signs I should look out for if it gets bad apart from it going green?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  19:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scale damage nearly always sheds out with no problems at all.
Its most likely he's caught it on something whilst trying to reverse, usually out of a hole that's either too small or a dead end!!
Don't worry about it though, damaged scales repair themselves, they are there to take the trauma of what happened, so the skin doesn't have to!
Incidentally, I had an mbk who has completely lost some scales, after about 6 months, and a good few sheds, they were back and shiney as ever!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  20:56:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks :) that's definitely some promising news then :) I think I know how he did it after talking to the boyfriend about it now. He likes to open his viv and touch him and he thinks he might have doe it while the snake was asleep on his mini table in his viv and the snake reversed quickly away from his hand after being woken up.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  23:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup that would do it! Its all normal stuff, any skin or scale damage repairs with a few sheds.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  09:30:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the scale just looks lifted rather than presenting an open or infected wound so i'd just keep an eye on it

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  22:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's gone back done now :D It looks almost normal again except some substrate looks like it's got a bit stuck but I guess that will sort itself out. While trying to clean under it, he ended up doing backwards and peeled a bit of skin off another scale, the silly thing.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  08:30:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they're too nosey for their own good lol
hope he learns eventually!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000