Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  00:54:11  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im interested in keeping a rock and didnt know if anyone else knew anything about them,want to do my research before jumping into the deep end.

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  00:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is very wise that you are doing your research before hand, well done. Its not something i would consider doing myself, i just dont have the time for that kind of commitment, but i am sure that once you have done the research you will be very happy with your aquisition.
Have you decided on a morph yet? i have heard there are quite a few to choose from??
I think locality must be an issue, whether they require slighly more humid climates than other localities, i am not sure, but worth check.
The main thing putting me off is size, some are so big that i just dont have the space for them!!

Hope this helps a little, good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can get smaller variations, and from what little I know they can come from cold climates (so will be very used to the cold) or from hotter climates as well.
But apparently some have successfully been moved from a hot to a colder climate and vice versa.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:03:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have the time and commitment but i dont want one thats going to be to big and heavy,can anyone recommend a smaller type of rock that is managable.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i beleive there is a dwarf rock local, but havent looked too much into this.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There are loads out there, I would've though a lot of rep shops would have some in of some kind. Just have a looky about.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:09:53  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

There are loads out there, I would've though a lot of rep shops would have some in of some kind. Just have a looky about.

i thought that most of them in pet shops were wc so would like to try and get one from a private source as a shop would want stupid money too.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am afraid i cant help you anymore than i have, as i have already said, just do your research and you cant go wrong, its really that easy!!!
Just be careful you dont get one so big that you cant handle it, not only that, but size doesnt always correlate with weight, so some could be relatively small, but weigh a ton, and some can be much bigger, but not as heavy!
Are you planning on getting just the one, or are you after a pair? i hear it can be quite tricky getting a sexed pair these days.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even most private ones are WC, I don't think anyone has ever been able to reproduce them, the time involved is a huge amount of time apparently.
It's just the private ones tend to have been looked after a bit better.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some really quite spectacular WC specimens, i have come across a few in my travels. Take your time Lee, there are some stunners out there.

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using my geology a level here, you'd definitely want to look for something with feldspar in there somewhere.
Much hardier and prettier than your common pumice
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:27:54  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Figs

Using my geology a level here, you'd definitely want to look for something with feldspar in there somewhere.

i like them with a bit of attiude and feel a pumice may be a bit soft,want something hard .not something thats just going to rub you up the wrong way

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:29:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by Figs

i like them with a bit of attiude and feel a pumice may be a bit soft,want something hard .not something thats just going to rub you up the wrong way

isn't there a granite variation???

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:31:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i do like the granite rocks,might look into these further,any ideas were i might find one?

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am led to believe that there are quite a few different morphs, albino is just starting to come along, but a kind of anery has been around for a while now.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are generally available in the aberdeen area.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  01:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They do have some that originally started in coastal areas that have like a white reflective bit through it, quartz ones I believe they were called.

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  11:55:40  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of my neighbours has one with a really strange, almost purple colour.

edited by accident

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

Edited by - lee2308 on 15/08/2010 12:47:36
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  00:16:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whats a rock ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  00:39:48  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
African rocks

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  19:06:25  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
this is an afrock...........

:O

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000