New home for my Snow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  23:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys just got my Snow couple of days ago and wanted your thoughts on her new home,i think ive got most things that are required but anything ive missed please let me know.Heat wise im using a mat(with a stat)which covers half of the tank(right hand side hot side) with a nice hide there.Ive used Aspen and on the cold side there is another hide and water bowl as you can see and a couple of plants,ive not yet sourced a branch but one will be going in there.

She only went in 24 hours ago so she's hiding under her hide so ill let her settle for a few days before i get her out again,once she's settled ill grab a few pics of her

Thoughts would be appreciated
Cheers

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  03:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a good set up Devuzz....your snow is a lucky snake! One comment, how big is she? Is she a hatchling? If she is then she may find the size of her new home a bit daunting and scary. Well done for covering 3 sides of the tank, it will make her feel a lot safer.

Well done for using the heatmat with stat and I see you also have a digital thermometer monitoring that heat, which is vital. You want to make sure that the temp doesnt get any higher than it is, 30oC is getting too high. Where do you have the probes for your stat and thermometer positioned, are they in the same place lying horizontally along the heatmat (which is where they need to be)? It looks like the probe for the thermometer might be going under the hide in the warm end, some of us have found this causes a problem as the temp is affected by the snake lying on the probe so you dont have an accurate reading. My probes are held down using rocks and heavy pebbles to make sure they are not moved by my snakes.

The usual guide for the size of the heatmat is for it to cover one-third of the tank, but I am not sure how much having half the tank covered will make a difference.

Aspen is a great substrate to use, perfect for your snake to burrow in. You just need a thin sprinkling over the heatmat and then deepen it to a couple of inches in the cool end.

It is looking good and a branch will definitely improve it, both mine like climbing their branches.

Well done for letting her settle in (I have commented on that when I said hi to you )....its good to know that you are doing that.

You are doing a great job, especially because you are on this forum asking questions !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  11:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and thanks for your comments..

My snow isnt a hatchling she was born in 08 and i havent really measured her yet but id say atleast 2 foot at a wild guess.The probes are flat on top of the mat and i secured them down so the snake cant move them,and yeah ive read some people dont put them under the hide incase the snake lies on them but some people have said its fine but i might move it later on.

Once she shows herself ill take some pictures but she's being shy at the minute
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  16:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice set up :)

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  17:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks and Mods if this isnt in the right section my apologies
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  20:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is it an old fishy tank? or a specific rep tank?

The reason I ask is because if it's an old fish tank then you may need to have a think about securing the lid well, otherwise an escape is inevitable.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  23:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah ive read that corns are regular escape artists so ive secured the lid down well, although im still on the look out for a more suitable lid.

I have to say the settling in period is rather frustrating as im itching to get her out...must resist haha

Edited by - n/a on 14/08/2010 23:02:08
Go to Top of Page

pastie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  20:43:26  Show Profile  Click to see pastie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nice setup but wheres the fish?:P , i was told by pet shop using a fish tank could be risky as fumes can build up in the bottom of the tank and harm the snake?

0.2.0 Common + Amel Corn (Mclaren & Bugatti)
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  05:34:43  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pastie, that is a myth. I've kept all of my snakes (Corns included) in nothing but tanks their whole lives and they've never had any trouble. The only way "fumes" would develop is if you didn't spot clean each poopie and then refresh the aspen every month. Nothing wrong with a tank, so long as you keep it clean...just the same as a viv or even a custom setup or tub.

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  16:00:45  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it looks lovely! has given me insperation for a old fish tank of mine lol

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  16:34:44  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me. Can't wait to see photos after that really long settling in period! Takes agea to go by.....

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  21:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pastie

nice setup but wheres the fish?:P , i was told by pet shop using a fish tank could be risky as fumes can build up in the bottom of the tank and harm the snake?

i wouldnt believe everything pet shops tell you my friend,ive kept snakes in the past(not corns though) and never had any problems with a old fish tank.I only used this one though as it was sat in the barn doing nothing so i cleaned it up and hey presto a new home for my baby who is settling in well,i even caught her having a nice drink yesterday and she's now sat relaxing under her log lol.I found a nice branch yesterday so ive got rid of all the bark and baked it in the oven for 2 hours so ill put it in shortly.

Edited by - n/a on 17/08/2010 21:10:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  19:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well guys decied to get her out today so i grabbed some pictures,unfortunately my diggy camera packed up just when i needed it so had to use my phone so quality isnt spot on...(sorry if they are a bit big)

but she had a surprise for me when i put her back in her tank,she went straight to the back of the tank rubbing herself and then proceeded to shed which she did in about 2 minutes flat and it came off in 1 nice piece which was nice[8D.I stretched the old skin out and she's just over 3 feet long.

Here's some more of her after her shed having a nosey about,so all in all its been a good day

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000