New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, i recentley asked about problems with my corns snake shedding, and has since been to the vet, he said that scar was in great condiction and that i had nothing to worry about. The vet and people on here did say to use moss, to which i have bought, but dont know really how to use it....my adult corn snake is at least 5ft n abit..i cant remember his weight, but again the vet was happy with it... viv is 3ft*1.5*1.5 and his temp in his tank at the mo is 28c on the warmer side..he eats a large mouse every 7 days...he has a hide box and water on the cooler side and the warmer side has aspen bedding and a log throughout his viv...the reason why i am asking about moss is because he is now gone blue, ready to shed and dont know wether to put the moss in now or wether i have to change the temp in his viv for the moss....I dont want to put moss in his viv n he gets ill...am i being paranoid about this?? Thanks

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  23:40:55  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think the best way to use moss is to put it in a hide on the warm side to create humidity to help the snakie shed(?) this is how ive been using it and every things gone to plan - but sum 1 more experienced should be able 2 explain/help more :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  08:17:15  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
make a damp hide with a suitably sized plastic tub (icecream, margerine, biscuit etc) with an entrance hole cut out then just add a layer of damp sphagnum moss inside

it can be placed in either end of the viv but will dry out quicker and need damping down again if it's in the warm end

it might be necessary to remove your snake's usual hide with the damp one to make him use it, then when he's shed simply swap the hides back again and save the damp hide for his next shed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Edited by - gingerpony on 12/08/2010 08:18:05
Go to Top of Page

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  17:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will this make his viv steam up tho, or is it supposed to do that? thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I use a damp hide (I use vermiculite) it's just the hide that steams up. It's a small rub and water condenses on the lid and drips out on to the substrate (no big deal) but the viv itself doesn't steam up. I don't think the viv should steam up - not for a corn snake - but other members may have more experience with this. All the best.
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there do what gingerpony said it will work a treat i have to do it with one of my royals.

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  21:04:31  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yep, vermiculite can be used too but can leave a metallic sheen on the snake which is why i personally prefer sphagnum moss

the damp hide shouldn't make the whole viv steam up.........

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right - didn't know that about vermiculite. In truth the snake didn't use it - awkward little git. Just as well! Haven't seen sphagnum on sale round here- unless it's okay to buy the stuff offered in garden centres for hanging baskets - where do rep owners usually buy moss from?
Go to Top of Page

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, im so glad this forum n site is here, everyone is so helpful. xx
Go to Top of Page

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.valuevivariums.co.uk/highland-moss-950gm-p-3809.html This is where i get my orders from...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:20:55  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
garden centre for me...........much cheaper than reptile branded stuff!

and sometimes you need to remove ALL the hides to make the snake use the damp oneS!

Go to Top of Page

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  22:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks gingerpony, properly is cheaper that way but theres not a garden centre near me, internet had to do....lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000