Eating mice from the wrong end
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  01:18:07  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

Even though we use feeding tongs to feed Tango and hold the mouse by the tail so he can strike at the head, he always ends up striking and gets it right in the middle of its body. Once hes got it he slowly moves his mouth round it and nearly always starts eating it from the tail end, the awkward sod lol.

Do most Cornsnakes end up eating their mouse the wrong way round?

Which end of a mouse does yours normally start at?

:-)

Best wishes

Catherine xx

0.1 Bloodred Cornsnake - Phoenix
1.0 Amel Cornsnake - Tango

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  08:04:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's not uncommon and it's not a problem but you could try super-heating the mouse's head with a hair drier to help your snake find the right end

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  08:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its no issue, they get impatient and just eat sometimes.
I have a westie that does it all the time!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little missus ate her mouse backwards once, it poses no threat to the snake, just a bit of light entertainment for the feeder

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:28:28  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
HAHAHA I just got a video (rather than pic) in my head of a Cadbury's creme egg advert, but for pinkies!

'How do you eat yours?!!!'

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! I get this picture of one of those egg-eating snakes scarfing down a Cadbury's creme egg ...yummy!

My snakes seem to take their mouse by the head these days but when they were younger they often grabbed the back end. (Wide-eyed, legless and rat-a**ed??)

Sometimes they'd even grab it in the middle and then have to spend time slowly shifting it round into a better position before they could start swallowing. At first it's really worrying but when you see how they can move the prey about in their mouths you stop being alarmed ... Although I knew about regurging I always used to think that once their teeth gripped, that was it, and if they'd got it wrong they couldn't do anything about it ..

Then one day I fed my largest girl her usual size mouse and she took it by the head and then dropped it ... (I offered her a smaller one I had spare and she took that - she still prefers two smaller to one large - she doesn't go hungry.) Awkward little beggar - but at least I now know they can spit the mouse out if they need to.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:57:39  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of my corns always eats bum first. I think in the time i've had her she's probably ate head first around 5 times.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  12:12:19  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine are awkward middle grabbers. Plus Hendrix ate his last mouse head-first (Yay) but then got stuck on the legs, i had to push them out of the way with tongs so he could carry on swallowing. Sometimes I swear these animals do it jsut to get to us!

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  12:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaze always strikes the neck, and then just coils it, however Blitz is like a hoover, just glides onto it and eats it wherever way.
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:01:26  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse

HAHAHA I just got a video (rather than pic) in my head of a Cadbury's creme egg advert, but for pinkies!

'How do you eat yours?!!!'

Thats funny, I like that.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:04:33  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems like most are that eager to feed they aren't bothered which end to eat from.

Just out of interest how do you all defrost the mice?

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Warm water although i have a friend who stands for ages with a hairdryer

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I put mine in a food bag and then let it defrost in warm water, mine are only little at the minute so im not sure wether this method would work when they're older. Especially with rocky, i'd need to put his rat in an ASDA bag and fill the sink with warm water.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just buy them from the shop, and let them defrost for a good six hours then plonk them in, lads dont seem to care if theyr'e not warmed up.
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  14:48:52  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just let Tangos mice defrost in hot water.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  15:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I let mine defrost in a plastic box somewhere warmish then finish up with a good warm on a heat mat.

Off topic, but I'm on a bit of a high at the moment as my baby royal python just struck and coiled. When I got him I was prepared to observe all the rules about not handling till after 4 or 5 feeds etc. (you will have heard how timid they are and how they can be chancy feeders if stressed) but he went blue, so of course he wasn't feeding, and then when he shed it was a scruffy one so I had to get him out and bath him, so at his next feed he didn't eat either ... Today I offered him a mouse with tongs - and he struck like a good 'un! Then he did a Tango ... he started nomming the mouse down but although he'd grabbed it by the nose, he managed to eat it tail first ... oh well, he's a man ...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  15:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slinky nearly always eats bum first!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  21:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother got a corn snake, but they kept fining him for having it at school, so now she's at my mom's house. He comes home every now and then to feed her, and last week he forgot he was defrosting a mouse on the counter. (My mom would have freaked out if she came home to that.)

Apparently, putting the mice in warm water not only defrosts them, but it helps the snake swallow. And of course, the stupid snake ate it tail first just cause that was the first end she came up on. I don't really think it matters, though. As long as she can get it down, either way should be fine, right?
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  22:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roybotica

My brother got a corn snake, but they kept fining him for having it at school, so now she's at my mom's house. He comes home every now and then to feed her, and last week he forgot he was defrosting a mouse on the counter. (My mom would have freaked out if she came home to that.)

Apparently, putting the mice in warm water not only defrosts them, but it helps the snake swallow. And of course, the stupid snake ate it tail first just cause that was the first end she came up on. I don't really think it matters, though. As long as she can get it down, either way should be fine, right?

Course it is.

Love the bit about the mouse on the counter. Right at the moment my mice are in the freezer next to the Haagen Dazs ... keep your fingers crossed I don't get the midnight munchies and creep down in the dark ... nom nom!
Go to Top of Page

ryanred5
Hatchling

United Kingdom
254 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  23:38:14  Show Profile  Visit ryanred5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We keep Tangos mice in an old Action Man lunch box.

I think we will need a bigger box soon cos he's going onto small mice and the AM lunch box isn't big enough to take many of them.

Best wishes

Catherine xx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000