OMG!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, my (frequently absent) son bought a corn snake about 2 months ago. we now know its female cos it just laid 5 eggs. she's only 7-8 months old as far as we know and don't have a clue what to do with the eggs. could she have mated in the pet store? if not will she be upset if we take the eggs out?
thanks for any help

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:19:54  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she shouldn't be sexually mature at 5-6 months of age..............how big is she? and depending on the pet shop's policy on co habiting and competance at sexing it IS possible that's where it happened!
its up to you what you do with them really, you could try incubating them if they look viable or just bin them if you don't want the responsibility and hassle of lots of baby corns in a few months time!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the reply, i'm going to hang on till morning see if my son turns up, if not I know it's awful but i think its best to get rid of them, but when do i feed her? I've been nagging him to take her to the vets because she hasnt eaten for 3 weeks . I dont know much about snakes, but having had 5 healthy kids and several elderly hamsters and rabbits etc that seems an awful long time.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ps. shes just over 2 ft long
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:04:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she's well grown-on for a pet shop then!

not eating for 3 weeks isn't long for a snake and is explained by her being gravid
it's not like you planned on breeding her and its not like the eggs have baby snakes in them yet either, so bin them if its right for you. another 5 snakes to care for probably isn't a great idea.
ideally the snake should be briefly checked over to make sure she's ok and feel for any lumps which could be retasined eggs meaning a trip to the vets. other than that leave her quietly to recover and offer her a smaller than usual meal, probably every 5-7 days to build her up gradually

Edited by - gingerpony on 09/08/2010 22:05:51
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so we just carry on as normal ? will an ordinary vet check her over? son just came home and says she was in a tank with other snakes and he's had her about 6-7 weeks. could i also ask, the pet shop sold her with a large plastic tank and a heat pad that sits under the tank. would she not be better in a glass tank with one of those light heats? they sold him bark chippings is this ok? sorry to be a pain but i find myself suddenly taking an interest. motherly empathy? lol
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:46:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she's probably best off in a plastic faunarium with a heat mat underneath, certainly not a heat lamp to provide heat
a plastic or wooden enclosure will maintain and regulate heat better than a glass one that acts like a green house in summer and gets vey cold in winter.
bark chippings can vary, pale coloured beech chippings are great, dark brown orchid bark chippings can cause health problems unless its baked to dry it out
as for a vet, your usual smallies vet will probably just look at it and say, yes its a cornsnake, give it some UV light' or something equally pointless lol (UV is completely unneccesary btw!)
hope this is all of some help, try having a look on the care sheet on here and reading the sticky topic on substrate (bedding)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  00:00:25  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow you really have been thrown in at the deep end. Welcome to the site. The caresheet on here is a fantastic way of starting to learn how to care for your girl. There are also some great threads about setting up your corn, feeding, handling, breeding. It's alot to read through but I'm sure you will find it as helpful as I did when I adopted my first corn back in December (except for the breeding bit as I didn't need that lol). Anything else your not sure about ask away. Everyone on here is really friendly.
Be careful tho, corns are very addictive. You may find yourself falling in love and then wanting more lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  09:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks very much for all your help. after putting my foot down with my son we have agreed that we don't have the facilities to care for 5 baby snakes or, to be honest, the time . so we are sticking to looking after Uma (don't ask !) . I have to admit i am very wary of handling her, i dont fancy being bitten. but i find myself in a position of having to handle her as son is often away and it isn't in my nature to leave her uncared for. so thanks again and I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of this site and your knowledge fairly frequently.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  14:08:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corn bites don't hurt, its more the speed that makes you jump. If you have a good rep shop near you, they incubate eggs and you get some of the money for it once they are sold.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000