First time tips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bailaz_85
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  19:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all asking all of you to give me some first time tips, now I know these may be covered in thousands of post on the site but if they are all in 1 place it may be easier for the likes of me who are new to snakes.
What I was looking for is anything you have to face for the first time like holding your snake, feeding, cleaning and whatever else you can think of.

Thanks
Keith

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  19:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878
thats got the main info about setting up the housing for your new hatchie,

with holding its a case of give them a week to settle in, no feeding, no handling just regular water changes. When you can hold him/her just take it slowly and remember that its a whole new thing for them, if you are getting a hatchie then be prepared for them to be quick! if its an older snake then they will probably be used to it so will be a little slower..

with the cleaning its best to do regular spot checks for fresh poop and then i do i full cleanout every 3weeks but depending on how messy they have been it might be earlier than that!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

bailaz_85
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  19:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See I was thinking get a hatchie as they will have longer to get used to you and once adult may very well be your best friend.
But then on the other hand get an adult as they are all ready tame and will be easier to handle.

So I am undecided on what age to get at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  19:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bailaz_85

See I was thinking get a hatchie as they will have longer to get used to you and once adult may very well be your best friend.
But then on the other hand get an adult as they are all ready tame and will be easier to handle.

not necessarily would depend on the previous owners treatment of them, so dont count on adults being mad friendly

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  21:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha, adults being tamer is certaintly wrong in my case.

my big male still fancies a go, but i got him in november knowing jack all about the snake, but wer'e getting there!

Blaze on the other hand I had since he was 6months old, and is a perfect snake.
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  22:53:54  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
when buying your snake make sure its a good dealer and the snakes are happy, clean vivs, snakes fliking tounge every so often, etc

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  23:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started with three hatchlings - one, a Carolina, was totally laid back and a great feeder, (but who often relaxed and took a dump while being handled!) One was sweet and friendly and always wanting to come out but a poor feeder (improved out of all recognition - she's grabby now!) and one was very friendly and a fair feeder - but she JUMPED sometimes when walking round my lap. (Now she crawls into my sweater and likes to sleep there.)

Later I got a young adult who was totally laid back and gentle - she still is, and a good feeder too.

My last corn is very young, very wriggly, but calms down in my hands after a moment or two.

The original three are over a year old now - the Carolina, while still being laid back, is quite a madam and will shake her tail at me if she's going into shed. (Still loves her grub, shed or no.)

I guess the point I'm making is that every snake has a different personality. It's interesting starting with hatchlings and seeing them develop, but they may be more awkward to handle and feed. Older snakes may be more laid back - or not.

Whichever snake you choose, it will be special to you.

As an afterthought, and something I never considered or could find out when first owning snakes, is cleaning. If they are small the motion will look like bird droppings (black bit=motion, yellow bit=wee) - when they are older it may look like brown dry clump, cat diarrohea, or even an impacted mass of fur and faeces. Whatever, it smells, whether of ammonia or faeces. I scoop out substrate and swab with cottonwool and Milton disnfectant - yellow urates, as snake wee is called, tends to go into powder and needs thorough cleaning away If you keep your snakes on kitchen roll or newspaper the motions will be more noticeable and easily cleaned - I prefer substrate but that's just my choice. Enjoy!

Sorry to be so long winded. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  00:13:39  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my thinking was get a young 1 and i could grow with the snake rather than a adult who may have been used to experienced keeper(s) but an adult may possibly less stressed by mistakes made by a new keeper than a hatchie? doesn't answer the question but it's a thought at best

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, me again. This may be just me, but the first time I set up a thermostat, it drove me mad! Excellent stat - Habistat mat stat - but the little gismo in the centre that looks like the top of a screw for adjusting the temp ...? No indication as to how to set it, in instructions or on website ... mind you I don't seem to have the necessary Adobe software to access info that might have told me.

Whatever. I sussed out that I would have to use something like a precision screwdriver to turn it to required temp, and trial and error told me the top setting (and asking questions at the shop), but when you haven't used one before it's a bit frustrating ...

Also, why do they market heatmats that reach excessive temps, so that another piece of equipment is essential to keep the mat at a safe temp? Sorry, slightly off-topic here, and I'm sure better minds than mine will have some answers, but it does puzzle me!

ps, not meaning to have a rant or open a can of worms or start debate. But it's a subject that has bewildered me since starting to set up equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:54:38  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi all asking all of you to give me some first time tips, now I know these may be covered in thousands of post on the site but if they are all in 1 place it may be easier for the likes of me who are new to snakes.
What I was looking for is anything you have to face for the first time like holding your snake, feeding, cleaning and whatever else you can think of.

Thanks
Keith

Have a looky at this as well: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Hi, me again. This may be just me, but the first time I set up a thermostat, it drove me mad! Excellent stat - Habistat mat stat - but the little gismo in the centre that looks like the top of a screw for adjusting the temp ...? No indication as to how to set it, in instructions or on website ... mind you I don't seem to have the necessary Adobe software to access info that might have told me.

Whatever. I sussed out that I would have to use something like a precision screwdriver to turn it to required temp, and trial and error told me the top setting (and asking questions at the shop), but when you haven't used one before it's a bit frustrating ...

Also, why do they market heatmats that reach excessive temps, so that another piece of equipment is essential to keep the mat at a safe temp? Sorry, slightly off-topic here, and I'm sure better minds than mine will have some answers, but it does puzzle me!

ps, not meaning to have a rant or open a can of worms or start debate. But it's a subject that has bewildered me since starting to set up equipment.

Got a similar thread going at the moment as well, here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11108

I shall quote you in that thread to carry it on. :)

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

Thanks
Keith

Have a looky at this as well: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Got a similar thread going at the moment as well, here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11108

I shall quote you in that thread to carry it on. :)

Cheers, mate (says she, dubiously ...) Right, off to have a read ...
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  10:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Kehhlyr, thanks for your comments - I was just a bit nervous I'd landed up in a big debate!

It's true though, isn't it - if they can regulate electric blankets why can't they regulate heat mats? (Or should this comment be over on other thread? Still it's relevant to considering all the aspects of snake-owning.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000