New arrivals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  16:09:57  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haven't Been on in a while, since I was last on I've picked up a gorgeous cb08 Carolina and my mum received an 07 spur thighed tortoise called tarquin :) so adorable with a strawberry

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
1.0 Spur thighed Tortoise
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  17:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome back
look forwards to pics of the new arrivals

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  20:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm now having a giggle at the thought of a tortoise nomming on a strawberry ... alternative Haagen Dazs advert or what??
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  10:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It kept rolling away from him so he stuck his claws in it xD

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  11:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by josh9961

It kept rolling away from him so he stuck his claws in it xD

LOL! That's why they've got claws on their paws!
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  12:27:35  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do they count as paws? I thought paws had pads like on a dog or cat, therefore a tortoise's feet would be called feet

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  12:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do they count as paws? I thought paws had pads like on a dog or cat, therefore a tortoise's feet would be called feet

Fair enough! That's why they've got claws on their feets, then!

Hey, slightly off-topic, but I notice you've got stick insects. I've just bought some baby Indians. I really wanted spiny ones, but apparently, from what I've been able to find out, they only eat bramble and deciduous stuff like that. So I got the Indians because they'll eat ivy and I can provide them with that all winter. How do you over-winter the spiny ones? Or do they hibernate without eating? Or are they like some butterflies, leaving eggs to overwinter while the parents die off? I've been researching on net, asking questions, would be really glad to find out more. Did think of freezing a load of bramble leaves ...
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:14:45  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bramble stays green through winter, even if buried by snow, so I have a constant supply all around me. In my experience the stick insects thrive quite happily eating as normal through winter, even without a heat mat although on cold days I put the cage on a heat mat. My spiny's have just fallen into a summer cycle of breeding/egg laying/breeding etc. so I'm hoping for acme nymphs in the future. I'm by no means an expert, I recommend joining the phasmid study group, you won't find better advice anywhere. My first sticks were Indian and they fed quite readily on bramble without any problems, are you sure they are exclusively ivy-feeders?

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis
Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bramble stays green through winter, even if buried by snow, so I have a constant supply all around me. In my experience the stick insects thrive quite happily eating as normal through winter, even without a heat mat although on cold days I put the cage on a heat mat. My spiny's have just fallen into a summer cycle of breeding/egg laying/breeding etc. so I'm hoping for acme nymphs in the future. I'm by no means an expert, I recommend joining the phasmid study group, you won't find better advice anywhere. My first sticks were Indian and they fed quite readily on bramble without any problems, are you sure they are exclusively ivy-feeders?

Go to Top of Page

BurnedAtTheStake
Yearling

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oops, my pc posted your quote without my reply! Start again ...

Sorry, should have said I was told Indians would eat ivy amongst other things, including bramble. So at present they have bramble (which is what they were eating in the shop) and ivy too. They seem to spend plenty of time on the ivy.

Yes, I wondered about accessing enough bramble through the winter - it doesn't completely die off though depends on winter and area - I live in Yorks. However, I note your point about leaves staying green in snow.

Oh boy, back to the shop for a couple of spinys - I've got a spare tank and spare mats!

Thanks for that!
Go to Top of Page

josh9961
Hatchling

United Kingdom
381 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:31:50  Show Profile  Click to see josh9961's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck :) my female is already eight inches long and about to shed. They get huge! If you get a male, close all windows and doors and get dogs and cats out of the room before you handle him. They're surprisingly good flyers

2.3 Corn Snakes
0.1 Bci
0.0.15 Stick insects
0.0.1 Shield Mantis

Edited by - josh9961 on 09/08/2010 13:35:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page