Feeding Outside of RUB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bailaz_85
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all new to Cornsnakes and I have a question about feeding.
I plan to feed outside of the snakes rub in a seperate rub or tub, but once the snake has had its meal do you let it go back into the rub itself as your not ment to handle them after a meal.

Thanks
Keith

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What i do is take it over in its feeding tub and guide it in cos if you leave it to its own devices it can take a while to go back in i spent 45 min trying to get mine to go back in once so I've learned if you slant the box a little that normally helps them on there way...hope this helps

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the no handling after feeding guideline mainly refers to prolonged handling, you can gently tip the snake back into their housing after feeding or you can gently scoop them up being careful not to grab them or anything and then gently place them back, its up to you

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:43:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed my snake outside his viv. I just very gently lift him back after he's eaten. Then I don't touch him for 48hours. I just change his water and check his substrate. I know people let their snake just slither back into the viv from whatever container they use for feeding. It's just a matter of personal choice. You'll soon find what method suits you and your snake.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  13:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great comparison was used on this forum a while ago, a member described it as something like "A short handle from feed tub to viv is like us eating a huge dinner and then slumping on the sofa"

A little handle from tub to viv is fine, but as long as you don't have a good outing just after he's eating and to leave him 48hrs without any interaction (water change, of course)

I feed in my RUB and Viv.. Plainly as my snakes are very defensive and protective over their mice, and I dont want to stress them to biting me when I'm transfering as they could regurge, not good for anyone...

I do reduce the risk of impaction, I weigh some sheets of newspaper down and I do play a tug of war with the mouse and snake, just so he dosn't pull it off the newspaper.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000