substrate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  02:03:31  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi, im daniel and im thinking of getting baby corn snakes and i was wondering if you could use wood shaving like the stuff u get for hamster cages from pets at home, as my local pets at home sells some with a lavender scent and pieces in with the shaving and i was wondering if it was possible to use this. this snake that i will be getting will be my first, although i will admit that i have raised a baby slow worm in a tank before as it was injured and i kind of rescued it back to help, i also successfully bred slow worms aswel and i used the same stuff in the tank for them as its very soft and makes the room smell very lovelly at the same time, any help would be very much appreciated and thnks for your time, my email address is: dbarton72[AT]ymail.com thanx again.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 05/08/2010 05:04:37

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  05:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The wood shavings stuff is not good for the corns.
Especially the scented stuff.

There are potential toxins in the shavings that will kill a cornsnake.
Have a looky on our care sheet, that gives a list of the recommended substrates.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  05:38:29  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thanx kehhlyr, the last thing that i want to do is hert these beautiful and grasious animals when owning one
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:23:25  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im gonna be a pain in the a*s now lol, i would like to have to same sort of stuff as the substrate as u would find in there natural habitat, the only thing is that i dont have a clue what that would be, i read that it would be sand but the only sand that i can think of for use with corn snakes is soft silica sand - the same stuff they use for eels and discus`s in tropical aquariums, is that true and if so, could i use that type of sand as i know that the sand is specifically made for very soft skinned animals, and im talking, use soe dogs hair and u would damage the skin, soft
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:26:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sand is not very good, it can get under their scales, in their eyes etc and cause infections.
It really is better to go for something like aspen, woodchip etc. Like Kehhlyr said have a look on the caresheet, via the homepage, for some very good information on all aspects of cornsnake care.
btw, you're not a pain in the a**s just for asking questions, how else will you learn?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:33:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes live in pine forrest in America, so there natural substrait would be soil (from America).

It isn't advised to use sand with corns, im not entirely sure why, i think it may absorb moisture away from their skin. Their are several substrates that can be used though and the main ones are listed on the care sheet.

Edit: I expect you will have quite a few questions, many of which may have been asked and answered before, if you do have any questions which you think may have been asked try using the search function in the top right corner. If you still don't find what you are looking for then feel free to post in one of the relevant sections. On this forum no question is deemed silly, afterall if you don't ask you will never learn

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 05/08/2010 11:36:03
Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  18:46:57  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone, danny, if soil would be there natural substrate in the wild, could i use soil with a leafy and bark topping as i think soil with its insulation properties would not be viable because the viv would struggle to stay warm if so then i would us either aspen or beech chippings, i think its called on the care sheet
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:02:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think soil of any sort would be suitable in a vivarium, or atleast not with a heatmat for the reasons you have stated.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

ilovemypets1988
Hatchling

United Kingdom
328 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:30:15  Show Profile  Click to see ilovemypets1988's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thanx danny, all of the advice here has helped BIG time
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use aspen, my local shop who specializes in snakes and reptiles told me its a great substrate to use and good price and easy to clean, that's what I'd go for mate.

play up pompey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

28 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when I say clean I mean easy to take a clump out and replace it, not actually clean it!!! ha ha ha

play up pompey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  22:37:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
could always read this 'sticky' topic...............

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1876

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000