1ST TiME SNAKE OWNER NEED HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  20:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,i have a corn snake the snake is very pretty high pink and high yellows BUT,the snake is very defensive and as soon as i go to the tank or open it to try and lift it, it Rattle her tail, hisses, strikes, and dashhes about but i have had it since it was 1 1/2 years old and its now 2 1/2 but its never been tame we gave it to a friend of mine to try handle it but they didnt do it due to being scared of it it isnt big about 3 and half feet but any suggestions of taming would be gratley apprecciated and for a first snake its not good.

Edited by - gingerpony on 01/08/2010 09:18:46

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  21:08:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You just have to handle it, that's all there is too it. Corn bites doesn't hurt, its more the shock but what ever you do, you must not pull your hand away if it bites and gets a good grip, It will hurt it.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  21:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for taking time to read my add i have tried that i gave it away for 6 months and they handled it all the time am not sure its a full corn snake it may be imbred
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  21:55:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
No corns enjoyed being handled, they tolerate it. Just handling it, it getting used to being handled and getting used to your smell won't happen over night, it can take months. Many corns are imbred to a degree., that's how they got all the pretty coloured snakes. The main reason why they bite is because they see you as a predator. They can also act mean if they are ill or in shed.

Seriously, I have been bitten a few times and had one trying to eat my thumb before, it really does hurt. Yes if its that size there will probably be blood but its really is the shock of being bitten because of how fats it happens. If you show your scared, it will know it. You just have to have a firm grip and try and not show you are nervous which can be hard to do.

You could try wearing a piece of clothing for a day and then popping it in it's viv so it gets used to your smell more.

If you put up pictures somewhere someone could see if it's full corn or not but I don;t think it would make much of a difference.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  22:49:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lots of interaction is the only way your corn will calm down - you may be unlucky and have one that is naturally grumpy but with time it may help.

just out of interest, what temperatues do you have, how many hides, and what size is the snake and enclosure?

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  03:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the heat lingers from 80 degrees to 85 it has a long pipe coverin the full tank and it has a seperate one for eating when needing heat i have a 3 and a half foot custom made faunarium by 2ft wide but i may bye a viv so i can put my clothes in it for her to get my scent thanks
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  08:40:46  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, your tank sounds rather large for your snake. What cover does it have to make it feel secure? How are you heating it, is it on a thermostat and how do you monitor the temps? A detailed description of your set-up will help to see if that is contributing to your corns grumpiness but it just may be that you need to bite the bullet and handle regularly. He wont enjoy it to start off with but he will get used to it.

Check out this thread for great advice on handling your corn. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9824

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Edited by - kdlang on 01/08/2010 08:46:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  13:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the heat is monitored by 2 digital heat thermometer and its heated by a habistat and i am away to but a 3ft viv for the rest of her life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000