Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  09:07:26  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Got my newest headache yesterday. We rescued a ferret who now goes under the name of chaos mainly because thats what he causes when he is awake. Trouble is he came equiped with a few hundred little buddies....fleas which can be deadly to a ferret so its a good job for his sake we did take him on. We frontlined him immediately but now I have to totally de flea the house which is more expense.

Ah the joys of pets lol.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  10:23:38  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww, bless him. Good luck with the fleas!! Little blighters are a pain

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  10:41:23  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good on you for rescuing him, but fleas are a pain in the A***.

How's he doing?

Do fleas go for snakes??

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:11:04  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes fleas will go for snakes but cannot survive on their blood alone they need a cat a dog or in this case a ferret. In order to kill them properly you need to frontline all the animals then treat the whole house with a product called indorex which not only kills the adult fleas it prevents the flea from becoming adult therefore breaking the life cycle of the flea. I have had cat fleas before and havent had any trouble with my snake. One good dose of indorex is usually nuclear war on fleas and it also prevents the little blighters from coming back for 12 months if you dont shampoo your carpets. When I got wotsit he was also running alive and in a matter or days the place was running alive with them and my son was getting thepoopbitten out of him. One does of indorex and the whole place was flea free more or less immediately.
If I do get trouble with the snakes I understand it is possible to use various remedies does anyone know of any?
The ferret on the other hand has made a remarkable recovery but it should have come with an asbo it is totally mental.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:15:31  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Incidently if you do use indorex and you have snakes YOU MUST take them out of the room you are treating for several hours (all animals in fact and humans) as it is obviously toxic stuff.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Indorex is fab stuff. I used staykill too when I had a bad case of them in my house. The cat just kept bringing more into the house and it took ages to get rid. I think I was spraying and hoovering each room and all upholstery beds etc daily for about a month. Then I caught the cat sleeping on an old cot mattress the kids were using in their den. I blasted that with staykill and finally got rid of the little blighters. Good luck with your ferret :)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:39:32  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
also like to add if you do have a flea problem to irradicate the little sucks you really do have to frontline all the animals at the same time you spray the house. I have learnt to my expense how hard they are to kill and you really have to go to war with the sods to kill them. I made the mistake of just frontlining the cats once as i though cat fleas would only attack a cat (stupid me) and as a consequence my little boy and the dog got eaten alive. So you have to spray the whole house at the same time you frontline your animals so they got no where to go without dying. Sounds extreme I know but believe me even if you leave a couple alive within a matter of days its an epidemic which is much harder to deal with the second time round.
Dunno how true it is but i just had it confirmed by my rep dealer that while yes a cat flea will bite a snake it cannot live of them as such and does not like to because they have no fur. He pointed out that while humans can be bitten they cant actually live off us because we have no fur as such thas why we only get head lice. Makes sence i spose but I will be treating the vivs as soon as I have anhilated the little gits from my house. Is it true you can use frontline spray on the vivs if you clean it out properly afterwards and of course change the substate?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:43:01  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Indorex is fab stuff. I used staykill too when I had a bad case of them in my house. The cat just kept bringing more into the house and it took ages to get rid. I think I was spraying and hoovering each room and all upholstery beds etc daily for about a month. Then I caught the cat sleeping on an old cot mattress the kids were using in their den. I blasted that with staykill and finally got rid of the little blighters. Good luck with your ferret :)

I am lucky neither of my two cats go out so so long as the dog is frontlined we should get away with it with one good blast. I havent tried staykill but I did try acclaim once and that was no where near as good as the indorex was. Do you think staykill is better then?

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
n'awww i would love a ferret good luck with him and all the flea's.

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  14:04:29  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. To be fair i would rather have the flea problem and have him here knowing he is safe and flea treated. He such a sweet little thing was born in may on the 3rd two days after my birthday. He is sweet but also nuts. Into everything. I go to go in a cupboard he is in there. I go in the fridge he is dragging away peppers, he is a nightmare! He has even somehow got inside the oven this morning. He is also a total headcase and is not at all phased by the two cats and the dog which is a staffy. They are in fact scared of him so i am having to seperate them all. Trust me if you think about getting a ferret think again its worse than having a new born in the house again. Or maybe its just this one? Would fit in real well with my animals I have a cat with adhd a dog that has multiple personality issues and two snakes which the least said about the better. Everyone here is nuts help me.....

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Tiffany-x
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1189 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  18:40:03  Show Profile  Click to see Tiffany-x's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the fleas!! :P Ferrets are absolutely amazing pets, I used to have one called stinky-poo and he was amazing, we took his for walks with my doggy, they are lovely if you handle them plenty and treat them well, although they are known for being aggresive Ive never seen one. I hope you have plenty of fun with it. Good luck with it all, and enjoy!
Tiffany-x

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  20:21:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elament

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I am lucky neither of my two cats go out so so long as the dog is frontlined we should get away with it with one good blast. I havent tried staykill but I did try acclaim once and that was no where near as good as the indorex was. Do you think staykill is better then?

Well Staykill worked for me. Once I found out the mattress was harbouring the fleas I blasted it with Staykill and the problem went. I have to say tho that I treated the cat and dog with frontline combo, combed them every day, hoovered the house top to bottom including all beds, upholstery, curtains, windowsills, anything the cat sat on, everyday sometimes even twice a day if I had time, and tried about 4 different sprays. So I think it was a combination of everything that got rid of them in the end. They were some of the most resilient fleas I have ever encountered. What made it worse was the dog I had was ready for going in to begin his task work training and another dog was waiting to come to me but it all had to be put on hold until those pesky fleas were gone.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  20:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the Ferret, would love one if I had the time for it. My mate and Dad both had them as teenagers and loved em :)

Hope you sort the flee's, our cat Neo is frontlined as often as you're allowed to and still ends up with them, hanging around the dirty alley cats me thinks lol

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  20:48:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww poor little guy :( You gonna front line yourself?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  21:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new arrival, sounds like he suits his name lol

Indorex is great stuff, I used to foster cats and most came with an army of fleas

Look forward to seeing pics if he stays still long enough

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  00:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kaz and lewy have just gotten two baby ferrets
congrats on the new arrival and good luck with the fleas!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  11:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's one thing I'm an expert on its flipping fleas i moved to a new place and all my 9 cats got them cos they lay dormant wee buggers now i used bob martins flea fogger after i stripped the bed the upholstery the full lot then i turned the heating up and put the hoover on as the heat and vibration helps bring them out the bob martin stuff also kills the lava they leave that turns into eggs so it kills them from the beginning also frontline for dogs as the cat stuff was not strong enough these fleas my cats caught were members of a gang I'm telling you lol...hope this helps...good luck your going to need it

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  12:02:58  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh i been there and done it with them princess. When i got wotsit he was crawling alive with them and within two days i had a major epidemic on me hands. i getting a delivery of flea treatment on wednesday by which time i will have yet another mass population but I know how to kill them. I actually enjoy it and go round the house with my indorex with a satisfied grin on my face. Hate them.

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  15:02:05  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about it being satisfying. As itch inducing as it is when I comb the animals and find the little beggars, I love being able to catch them in tissue and hearing them crack as I crush them. I'm not usually evil but I hate them and I really struggle to understand what role they are supposed to play in our grand ecosystem.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  09:31:49  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean cant wait till i get my indorex muhahahahaha

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:54:48  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Indorex has arrived MUHAHAHAHA.
Incidently I talked to virbac today (the peeps that make it)and they told me it is safe to use around snakes although they do need to be moved out of the room when you spray. I was concerned as one of my vivs is on the floor but apparently indorex contains pirmetherin which is used in the death and control of snake mites too.
Muhahaha cant wait but I have to wait till tomorrow to do the livingroom as I fed Xena last night and I dont want to risk moving her viv till 48hours have past.
Them fleas dont know whats gonna hit them LOL

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page