Decent Viv Lock?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  22:12:23  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I bought the wrong lock for ELijah's viv, seems the glass on the VX36 vivs is closer together than on my Leo's custom viv, so when I put the lock on the outer glass pushes it against the inner glass and I have to take the lock completely off to open the doors. It was a Pro Rep 1000mm one. Does anyone know if the 1300mm X-Long one would make a difference or if there are other makes that would suit a VX36?
I have been looking into getting a wedge if I can't get a lock but would prefer the lock.

Thanks

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  08:48:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I heard werid things about the metal locks and vivexotic vivs, I have no idea if it's true or not though. People have had to bend the metal to get it to fit :/ bt I do't know what make of locks they were. I thought have thought that locks with smaller gaps would be better.

I've been using rubber wedges, they work but not a lot of the wedge goes into the viv but it goes the job.

Out of interest, What would be the locks purpose? Child/animal proofing or snake proofing?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  10:49:32  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My locks are fine, but I can't remember what type they are. :(

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had to bend the metal on mine to make it fit between the glass. It does the job but its a bit of a palava. It will save you buying another lock tho

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  14:08:28  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I had to bend the metal on mine to make it fit between the glass. It does the job but its a bit of a palava. It will save you buying another lock tho

I had to bend the metal bit on mine as well for it to fit perfectly.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  14:16:24  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another solution if you cant get a lock in is to use self adhesive velcro to keep the doors shut. Thas what i have had to do on xenas viv as the glass is so close together i couldnt get a lock to work even with bending.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  15:26:24  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think bending it would make any difference as it's th outer door that pushes it back in, if I try it on my Leo viv (custom made) it is fine, I can take the lock part off, leave the actual bar attached to the glass and still open the door with no issues. On The VX viv though if I try and open it with th elock in place it would scratch the door. So I have to remove the door if I want to do anything inside. Bit of a pain really. I think I will go for a wedge. I bought the lock instead of the wedge as I had visions of it falling out when I wasn't there. Mind you though the doors on this VX are really quite tough to open anyway, plus the way I have my cardboard aid in between the glass I don't think Elijah would be able to escape anyway. Just don't want to take any risks.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  20:08:43  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this will help but when I bought Izzy, the viv he came with had a lock that had scratched the glass. I smeared vaseline over the bar and it helped it to run smoother.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  04:55:58  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, I went out and bought a pacl of 6 wedges anyway, the galss door was quite hard to open anyway, so now a wedge should do the trick.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  13:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucifer/HannahB, I can remember I think it was Luke, had to bend the lock they got off 888 with pliers to fit it on the VX36.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  16:44:29  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Lucifer/HannahB, I can remember I think it was Luke, had to bend the lock they got off 888 with pliers to fit it on the VX36.

Yes it was Luke that had to do that.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000