New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  20:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister recently arrived home from the pet shop with a Bells Hingeback Tortoise and I don't know much about it! (neither does she)

The pet shop man claims that he can safely live with Jim, our bearded dragon and so far there have been no problems. They just completly ignore eachother. However Jim isn't too impressed now that he has been switched to grass pellets as a substrate as opposed to sand. Any advice regarding suitable substrates that they can share? Not really expensive stuff though cause I get grass pellets for free! I know price isn't the issue, the animals well being is but I have to ask!

Also a low down on what an tortoise needs to have done with it each day would be much appreciated.. There's loads of care sheets on the internet but I'm convinced that some of them are useless!

Thanks, Katie

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  21:19:27  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have a tortoise :D they are cool pets if your garden is big enougth you can just make a pen and leave it out there all year round apart from when it hibernates then just kepp it in your garage or shed :) all you need to do daily is feed it some fruit and veg such as cucumber, dandilions, lettuce, radish, bannana , carrot preety much anything haha and also change its water :)

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  21:55:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all i know about tortoises is they make rubbish footballs - they don't bounce too well with all that shell :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  21:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not yet average tortoise though! This is an exotic one. It's an omnivore and doesn't hibernate, lives in a vivarium cause its too cold outside

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  09:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
katie u are in dublin yeah? if u have free time over the weekend take a trip into ben in reptile haven he is very good for advice. he will be able to stear you in the right direction.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  10:42:11  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please don't keep a beardie and tortoise together. They have different needs and should not cohabit. It will stress them both to be housed together.
Look on the tortoise trust website for advice or the shelled warriors website.
You could also join the shelled warrior forum, there are lots of very experienced owners on there that will give you loads of help and advice.
Good luck.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  21:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shortyireland that is the best piece of advice iv gotten off this site so far! I have looked up Reptile haven and will probably take a trip into town during the week and talk to him! Thanks again

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  11:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problem at all ben is a legend he is always willing to help even if the reptiles didnt come from him. but be warned he has lots of pretty creatures and u might just have to take one home. i went in there for substrate and came home with a python

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  13:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do i ask for him when i go in or just ask the nearest official looking individual?

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  17:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
non of them look official. ben is usually he is the older of them all but if he isnt there the lads be able to steer you in the right direction

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  17:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd go with the advice from Herriotfan- Both websites that she mentioned are FAB!
They maywell shout you down for keeping the t with a beardie...and also in a Viv... but the info from both is spot on!
xXx

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Please don't keep a beardie and tortoise together. They have different needs and should not cohabit. It will stress them both to be housed together.
Look on the tortoise trust website for advice or the shelled warriors website.
You could also join the shelled warrior forum, there are lots of very experienced owners on there that will give you loads of help and advice.
Good luck.

HAHA : eeji!
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

all i know about tortoises is they make rubbish footballs - they don't bounce too well with all that shell :(

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000