vivarium light problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  19:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have just brought my new corn snake home today, she is 8 months old and I have called her Salizar. I bought the vivarium as a complete set up from the reptile shop, but I have found a problem with it that I hope someone may be able to help me with. The cage that the light bulb is protected by is a standard size, but unfortunately Salizar makes a bee line straight into the cage through the mesh holes. I have turned the light off so she doesnt get burned, but obviously I want the light on so is there any other way of protecting the bulb, or any bulb that can be usd that doesnt need the protection.

Thankyou

Liam

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  19:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the bulb isn't the only heat source then its not needed for the snakes health just so you can see her better.

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou very much for your quick answer,
she does have a heat pad with thermostat which is just under half the size of the vivarium, I was told that they needed a lamp/light to bask under which is why I was worried

Liam
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  19:57:34  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the site and the world of snake keeping. Salizar is a gorgeous name. What morph/clour is she?

Corn snakes don't really need to bask. I only use stated heatmats for all of mine. I do have lights in but they are only energy saving low wattage bulbs that don't give off heat. I just put them on to help me see when doing spot checks.They are still guarded tho just to be on the safe side. If I were you, I would turn off the light for now, then you can look for maybe a closer mesh guard or make one yourself without worrying that your snake is going to get burnt in the meantime.

It is nice to hear that you were provided with a stat for your heatmat as most shops don't usually include them with full set-ups. Is your lamp also on a thermostat?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  20:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou, Salizar is an Amel, she is orange with lovely red patches and red eyes.

It sounds as though the low wattage bulbs might be a good option if its more for me to see it rather than what she needs until I can sort out another guard. The light isnt on the the thermostat, that is just the heat pad and sensor.

I will take some photos when she has settled in and post so people can see her.

Liam
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  20:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Liam mate and welcome.

I'd scrap the bulb all together, flog the gaurd and make a few bob.

Corns wont need to bask as typically, they wont be out in the bright sunshine away, as theyr'e crespecular, meaning they come out as dusk/dawn but there are some execeptions.

I dont use any lighting in my corns viv and I have no trouble seeing in there to spot clean etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000