New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  02:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm new on here i just got my 2 new corns last week one of them is really lazy and going dull and the other one is quite fast and eager to get out all the time can you tell me if there is something wrong with the one that's really lazy as it just wants to sleep all the time it doesn't mind being handled and has had its first feed since we got it and kept it down and also been to the toilet I'm just getting worried as this is our first time having a snake any answers would be much appreciated.

thanks x

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  10:19:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All snakes are different, but when you say he is dull, do you mean litterally his skin is dull?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  11:07:21  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
MY boy is generally out and about and being nosy, and my girl hides away all day Variety is the spice of life as they say!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  11:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes the skin is dull so is his eyes my hubby thinks it mite be ready to shed but i'm not sure

Edited by - princessbroxy on 21/07/2010 11:50:50
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  11:55:20  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sounds like he is going into shed so nothing to worry about :)

he shall be a pretty snakie in no time ;)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  11:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank-you but if the 2 of them hatched on the same day would they not shed at the same time? sorry for the silly questions but as i said this is my first time having snakes lol

Edited by - princessbroxy on 21/07/2010 12:00:41
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  12:05:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Shedding has many variables, the one who is shedding now might have fed earlier and is growing quicker.

He might be out more after he has shed, when in blue they are virtually blind so become inactive.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  12:10:05  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nothing i s a silly question here, its better to ask and know than not at all :)

erm they would shed around the same time ish but not the same day, some snakies are slower than others and some faster, down to the snake :) just like it is with kids kinda thing but obv there not guna shed but with there talking n walking kinda thing.

i have a brother and sister snake not sure how close they were being born but there is a couple of weeks gap between them when they shed ish :) but im sure there shedding was a lil closer when younger but cant remember and the records are downstairs lol

hope this helps :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  12:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all your help i will try and get some pics up of them soon as i figure out what to do as there little stunners and cant wait to show them off lol
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  12:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My Babies

0.0.2 Aneries: Dorito + Sparkles
1.1.0 Hypo Het Lavender Bloodreds: Chilli + Pepper
1.0.0 Motley Butter: Dave
0.1.0 Ghost stripe : Sssam
0.1.0 Lavender: Princesss Annie
0.1.0 Normal: Medusa (baby sitting for 3 years)
2.2.0 Royal Python: Rafiki , Zazu , Pumba + Timone
1.0.0 orange ghost Python:Buster
1.0.0 Pastel python: enygma
0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra
0.1.0 66% het pied: sally
1.0.0 red tail cat fish (Morph)R.I.P
7.2.0 cats (M.I.B.,Picasso,Dealy,Storm,Gokoo,Merc,Chaos,Stitch,Peanuts)
Welcome to my petting zoo lol

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  23:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think my baby is shedding its eyes are bright blue but I don't think I will settle till its done its thing does anyone know how long it takes before the skin comes off??

Thanks x

0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra

Have you ever noticed when you run into a spiders web you all of a sudden turn into a ninja
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  23:44:38  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He will probbaly stay blue for around 3 days then clear up and shed a couple of days later. It will differ slightly from snake to snake and they will generally shed during the night.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  01:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Danny you been a big help since i started posting so thank-you very much x
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  06:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mikki. Welcome to the forum! Just a few pointer to add to what Danny has said (although he has really covered everything you need to know about the shedding).

You say you got your 2 corns last week. It sounds to me as though you were not advised to leave them for a week to get settled in as you are already handling and feeding them. We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for them to get used to the new smells and their new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so they can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about them not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. If you havent done it then it is probably worth starting the week from now, especially as in a way you are being forced to with one of them about to shed.

When they are like this they are almost blind, even once their eyes have cleared up. It is a personal choice I think about whether you feed and handle your snake during this time....but to my thinking they are very vulnerable, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed and handle their snakes during this time - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont. I just want to avoid as much stress for them as possible.

I do hope you get to see your snake shed, but dont be surprised if you dont (they like to do it in secret ). Let us know how it goes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  07:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awww ok i will leave them from now on but I feel really sorry for my one cos its always trying to get out lol but I will keep you posted on the shedding see what happens lol

Thanks x

0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  08:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused now tho they are due to get fed today so do you think i should leave it or give them something?
Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  19:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just fed my niece's snake and mines were looking on saying wheres ours mummy i feel so sorry for them just now

0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  22:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about it, although they may not like it, they can and do go for months without feeding.
As for the shedding thing, all snakes a different, they grow at different rates, so their shedding behaviour may not be in sync with each other, again, nothing to worry about.
Are both those snakes sharing a tub? Its highly adviseable to keep young corns separate, especially as babies, and certainly as adults if you don't know the sex of them.
There are many little quirks your babies will develop, over time you will recognise them!!

Go to Top of Page

princessbroxy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  00:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi thanks for the info...No Ive separated them now but my one keeps looking over at his we pal lol

0.1.0 spider python:
Kendra

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000