Diablo and Aphrodite BCIs (pic heavy!)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  21:32:09  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here are some pictures of my Colombian Red Tails (BCI). Diablo is a normal....Aphrodite is a Sharp albino.

Diablo

Aphrodite

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  21:39:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous snakes mate, love diablos funky saddle near his tail. His tail colours are pretty vibrant for a BCI aswell.

Aphrodite is a stunner, im quite fond of the Albino BCIs (Both sharp and Kahl strain) I won't be getting another for a while, but i could see one in my little collection sometime in the future.

Maybe a female because according to Rockies papers he is 66% poss het sharp strain albino

Hopefully by the time i come to get one they will have dropped in price a little...

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 20/07/2010 21:59:22
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  22:31:22  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they are lil stunners :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  10:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aphordirite is one lush boa!
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  10:53:15  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i agree hillzi ... one sexy boa indeed
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  19:16:56  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Awww, thank you, everyone. I adore these two snakes. If you can house them properly and stand to handle larger snakes, I'd recommend them to anyone.

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
very cool boas,i got a king called diablo,never heard another snake with the same name

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  21:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

very cool boas,i got a king called diablo,never heard another snake with the same name

I have.
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Thanks! I actually called him Diablo after the demon of Terror in the Diablo 2 computer games. I'm probably going to have to change it, though. I never got him probed when I got him, but a friend of mine did a "rubber band" test on him and said he was male. Just the other day I was watching a video on how to sex your boas without getting them probed and from what I saw, I am almost 100% sure that Diablo is actually a female. I will be taking her in to get sexed here soon, so if it is a female, I will be changing her name to Andariel....which is a female demon in that same game.

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  22:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lovely snakes, and brilliant colours on them.

However, I'm sorry to say that you cannot get a columbian redtail BCI.
A columbian Boa is a BCI.
A redtail is a BCC.

I would imagine that your columbian is not a columbian (because they're BCI). To me it looks more like a venezuelan red tail boa which is a BCC.

/ninja edit
Although from re-reading all my info the 'red-tail' phrasing can allegedly get given to any boa with bright red coloured tail markings.
The chances of getting a BCC from columbia are VERY slim ad would cost you a fair few squids.
Although I do know of some places in America that do call a BCC a BCI purely because in some parts of the country you need a permit for a bci but not a bcc, so a lot of reptile suppliers do call them BCI.
Apparently the only 'real' way to tell if you have a bci or bcc is:

BCI's have 253 ventral scales (or less) and a midbody scale count of 55-79. 21 or more dorsal blotches (saddles). Adult boas reach an average of 7 to 8 feet. 10 feet being very unusual. General maximum weight 30 pounds.

BCC's have 234 to 250 ventral scales and a midbody scale count of 89-95. Less than 20 dorsal blotches. Adult boas may reach 12 to 14 feet. General maximum weight 60 pounds.

If you want anymore clarification on BCI or BCC, then have a looky at Rio Bravo Reptiles They are the most reputable breeders and IMO the most knowledgeable on boas and just through looking at pics of BCIs and BCCs you see the difference very quickly.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 22/07/2010 23:09:09
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  23:41:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im intrigued by this "rubber band "method of sexing,how is it supposed to work,the only true way to sex is if they mate as probing can give false reading if the boa tenses up,got a link to the youtube clip?

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  00:19:10  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
True red tails are BCC's but BCI's are sometimes also reffered to as red tailed boas.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  00:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

True red tails are BCC's but BCI's are sometimes also reffered to as red tailed boas.

True red tails USED to be only the Guyanan and similar locality Boas.
Now, all boas that look a bit red in the tail are refered to as red tails.
Read the text.

Don't try to teach grampa to suck eggs!!!

Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Hatchling

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  05:42:53  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Diablo and Aphrodite both are BCIs. There are several differences in BCIs and BCCs. Here in the States, BCIs and BCCs with the red tail markings are called red tails. Most people specify BCI or BCC...but if you know what to look for, it is easy to see the differences. One of the ways is to look at their saddles. BCIs have more of a )( type of saddle, while BCCs have more of a {} type saddle. Also, BCCs have a slimmer face and somewhat more refined features. Usually their tails are much more vibrant in color and many of them look more purplish red than dusty brownish red.

So...for you, Kehhlyr, Colombian BCI would have been correct, for me here in the States, a Colombian red tail is also considered correct.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Jenn.
8.8 Royal Pythons
1.0 BCI Boa
1.2 Corn Snakes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  08:06:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aphrodite is gorgeous! I love the tongue shot! Diablo is nice too :3 I love the patturns

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  20:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
both are gorgeous - i love the eyes.. something about them just draws you in.. hmm might hvae to consider one of these in the future!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  23:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

So...for you, Kehhlyr, Colombian BCI would have been correct, for me here in the States, a Colombian red tail is also considered correct.

That is a very valid point, I had completely forgot about the differences in what they're called on both sides of the pond.
Stupid things, they should agree on a common international name for BCCs and BCIs instead of them being called different things.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2010 :  23:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to reference someone who is both in the states and regarded to be one of the best in the world, simply Vin Russo. I forget his website, but there's good info on there.
Another would be Peter Kahl, bit of a nob, but knows his stuff, his website is www.salmonboa.com.

The saddle markings are generally a give away, unless you are looking at crosses.
Head shape, not so much, I have a comparison pic of my bci right next to my suriname, the surinames head is much wider and generally bigger, although there is only 2.5ft difference in length, the suriname makes up for it in weight, she's proper hefty!! I haven't weighed her, but would estimate between 3 and 5 stone, as opposed to about a stone and a half for the bci, 14lb is a stone btw!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000