eating machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  12:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my snake is 2 year old, but its a big snake and has always ate well. normally it eats medium mice, dont you all stress out about the age and the food, shes pretty big for her age. last week she was still hungry after one so the guy at my local pet shop said to give her two, i did and she was fine. today is feeding day and she's looking hungry again, will two medium mice every feeding be alright? always been an eating machine since i fist bought her.

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2010 :  01:49:50  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Give her two for a couple of feeds. If there's no problems then try her on the next size up (from your normal supplier. I say this because from different suppliers the sizes can vary) If there's no problems you can keep her on the bigger size until she needs to move up again.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  04:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing you do have to remember Shaun, is that snakes are opportunistic feeders...in the wild they will never know when or where they are getting their next meal and they are the same in captivity, so given the chance they will overfeed and it is up to us to make sure this doesnt happen, no matter how hungry they may look. Now I am NOT saying you are overfeeding her at all, as you know her best....but it is something to keep in mind.

When you feed her the medium mouse is there a bump? If there is then she isnt really ready to move up to having 2 mediums....but if there is no bump (or only a very small one) then definitely try her on the 2 mediums for a while.

Once she is feeding on those happily then you can see if she can take the next size up, although as Herriotfan has said different sizes vary with different suppliers. What you need to make sure is that the large mouse's girth is no bigger than 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth.

Just out of interest how much does she weigh and how often are you feeding her?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  12:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cudnt tell you the weight but, i feed her once a week, every tuesday
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: