New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  02:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of us know that corns can rattle and some of us have experienced it. I know I was quite shocked when I heard Silvesta do it the first time (Kellog never having done it).

Now I have always assumed that the sound itself is coming from the vibration of the tail, but by OH was holding Silvesta a couple of days ago and inspecting his head where he had a ripped scale....Silvesta was obviously not happy about it and rattled, the first time he has ever done it outside of his viv. My OH was being very gentle and Silvesta was simply protesting at being held still. What amazed my OH (and me when he told me) was that the sound of the rattle was coming from vibrations within Silvesta's belly....he could feel them where he was holding him, and there was nothing for him to be vibrating his tail against to make any noise yet it was still clearly audible.

Does anyone know where the actual sound comes from or, like me, have you just assumed it is from the tail vibrations? I have briefly googled it but not found an answer....

xxx

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  03:08:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It comes from a tiny jar of marbles they carry in their pouch.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  03:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

It comes from a tiny jar of marbles they carry in their pouch.

Now why didnt I think of that??

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  08:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of mine rattle all the time, including being out, mostly at feeding time, unless the tail is touching something, I have never heard it, I can feel it, purely cecause of the vibration through the snake.

However, K is probably right!

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  10:59:09  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
its funny I have had mine all that time and neither of them has ever rattled or hissed. They do vibrate slightly sometimes when you pick them up but thats about it. I dont think either of them can be bothered. I did once see a corn rattle when my son Ethan picked colin out. The shop had all their corns in a stack of RUBs and when the lid was lifted off one it leapt about three inches in the air and immediately started rattling and hissing to which I quickly said "Not that one" but I do seem to remember its tail going when it was rattling.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000