Hemipenis shed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  22:09:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My big lad has just shed but I've noticed something I have never seen before on any shed, 2 red dots around the vent area of the shed and something that's looks a bit yellow and sticky...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  22:35:40  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thats nothing to worry about :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  22:38:56  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely a boy then

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  22:55:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ah ok! I was getting really worried that he might have something wrong with him! He was struggling to shed his bottom as he's a chunky fellow so I gave him a hand at shedding as he has problems sometimes and I thought that I somehow did it. He's never done this or I have never noticed it in 8/9 years of having him. That sticky looking stuff isn't what I think it is, is it xp

Do the females shed their glands?

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  23:14:03  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be really crude but do you mean the snake has ejaculated into the shed?

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  23:50:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is it, I have no idea lol. His poo was in the opposite end of the viv nowhere near the end bit of shed. If he did, he only did a bit of it.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  10:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My big lad does that... Not a female in sight either..

I hope he's not gay, but you know male corns.. theyr'e rapists!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  13:57:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Sorry to be really crude but do you mean the snake has ejaculated into the shed?

males that have not mated have dry sperm blocking the channels and these are known as sperm plugs and can come away with the shed and realse a bit sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  14:18:57  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ummm, you learn something new every day. Thanks Lee.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  15:36:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

males that have not mated have dry sperm blocking the channels and these are known as sperm plugs and can come away with the shed and realse a bit sometimes.

Do you mean like, ever or just within a certain amount of time? Last time he had snakie action was in December. Would the sperm plugs coming away leave the red dots?

It seems so strange that I haven't noticed this before :/

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  15:58:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just if they have not mated for a while,the red dots are nothing to worry about.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2010 :  16:18:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Would this also be a reliable method of sexing a snake?

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  08:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only truely reliable way of sexing a snake is popping, visual confirmation.
Probing is good, but if the snake clenches, which to be fair, I damn well would, then a false female can be probed, and if someone is a little to rough, then the cloaca can be peirced and a false male can be probed. Thing is, with adults, its extremely hard to pop.
Obviously, if you get the sticky stuff tested and it is sperm, then yes, its male.
However, if you have already mated him with a female in december, then you shouldn't need confirmation.
Incidentally, females can retain sperm also.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2010 :  16:27:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Surely only a male would shed his penis though lol Or if the red dots on the shed only happen with males.

I was just wondering as I don't really trust my petshop near me to sex my snakes and the proper reptile place in town won't do it unless I am intending to breed. I know he's a male, I've seen his bits before lol but I was just wondering about if once my little once got older and if they had a shed with 2 red dots if it would mean if they were male.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  12:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a bit like saying only women have breasts, or only men have big shoulders or muscles.
The only fool proof way of checking is to drop the trousers. same with the snake. A snake can show all the common signs of being one sex, but then be the opposite.
However, you said further up the thread he was bred from in december, that in itself would seal it for me.

What i am talking about is 100% certainty, this method is obviously not 100% because you are still questioning it.
However, once he gets it out for you, then you wont be questioning it, ever.
The chances of him getting them out though, nil, especially as an adult.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  13:05:32  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well if you didnt know the sex before, you definatly do now!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2010 :  16:48:27  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Thats a bit like saying only women have breasts, or only men have big shoulders or muscles.
The only fool proof way of checking is to drop the trousers. same with the snake. A snake can show all the common signs of being one sex, but then be the opposite.
However, you said further up the thread he was bred from in december, that in itself would seal it for me.

What i am talking about is 100% certainty, this method is obviously not 100% because you are still questioning it.
However, once he gets it out for you, then you wont be questioning it, ever.
The chances of him getting them out though, nil, especially as an adult.

I know for a fact he is male! I've seen his bits, very brightly coloured indeed lol.

I don't think I explained it properly, I meant what if one of my hatchlings grew to an adult/sexual mature state and shed it's hemipenis or if I saw any sperm plugs in the viv when they haven't been mated at all ever. Sorry I'm not very good at explaining things.

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  10:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for a start, they dont shed their Hemipenes, they only shed the skin and their scales, whatever is internal, stays internal.
What you can prob see is the skin around its vent, that has the small nubbin things, either way, no its not accurate, the only fool proof method is popping. Visual confirmation. If probing is done properly, then its very accurate, but its again very hard to do on an adult snake that is clenching.
Visual of the size and shape of the tail can be used too, it works quite well if you know what you are looking for, but again, mistake happen if you dont know what you are looking for in comparison to others.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000