New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  23:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.
Im new to breeding corn snakes and have a femail hypo corn snake that i would like to bread.
When i purchased my hypo the bloke said something about breeding with another hypo to produce another type of corn snake that is worth much more than the normal ones. Can someone enlighten me on this matter please ie... what kind of corn does it produce, what colour it produces, weather there are any risks and anything else i might need to know.
Thanks very much
Martin G

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  23:45:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hypo x Hypo, would give you hypo babies. (Unless they have matching hets)

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 15/07/2010 23:47:31
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  23:45:44  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hypo x hypo = all hypo babies - http://iansvivarium.com/morphguide/hypomelanistic/

the risks are the same no matter which morphs are bred, most of the risk is to the females health - the worst case scenario being her getting eggbound which is very often fatal. Have a good read up in the breeding section, it will give you some idea of what is involved. :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  00:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was told though that breeding two hypo's would produce a different morph. a rarer one worth much more than the hypo
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  00:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well whoever told you that has no clue.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  00:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was the man in the shop where i bought her from. he told me the young are worth 125 quid where the normal hypo is only 40 quid that i payed. will have to go back there n make sure he will pay the price when i get round to breading lol.
thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  00:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guys talking nonsense Martin.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  10:28:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even if you were to sell the hypos back to the shop he wouldn't give you £40 because he has to make his profits aswell.

Unless the snakes have matching hets hypo is all you will get.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  11:16:31  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Even if you were to sell the hypos back to the shop he wouldn't give you £40 because he has to make his profits aswell.

Unless the snakes have matching hets hypo is all you will get.

Agree with you DB91 They will probs only pay like £15 each for them and then they sell them for loads more making a huge profit.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  11:22:02  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you sold the babies to the shop, you'd probably get £10 for them. £15 if he's feeling nice. Sounds like he was just triyng to get you to buy another snake.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  13:14:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

If you sold the babies to the shop, you'd probably get �10 for them. �15 if he's feeling nice. Sounds like he was just triyng to get you to buy another snake.

They were exactly my thoughts. He probably sensed that you didn't know much about breeding and the genetics of the morphs and decided that he could make a bit of money from you, by letting you think you were infact the one that was going to be making the money.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  15:43:46  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If these snakes were real money spinners anyway they wouldn't be by now as everyone would be breeding them.

Unless he meant like a different form of hypo like a strawberry? There is no real money in breeding corns though, I think the breeders on here can tell you that.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  16:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

If these snakes were real money spinners anyway they wouldn't be by now as everyone would be breeding them.

Unless he meant like a different form of hypo like a strawberry? There is no real money in breeding corns though, I think the breeders on here can tell you that.

That depends on the morphs you breed and on the scale you do it. Maybe breeding as a hobby wouldn't bring in much money but there are people who have successfully turned breeding corns and other snakes into a successful business.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  17:00:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe other snakes but it would surprise me with corn and I don't think it's a "get rich quick" kind of thing.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2010 :  22:45:11  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
theres no get rich quick with cornsnake breeding. If you want to get rich, then you will need to be rich in the first place to buy the high end morphs and new combinations that other rich people will buy the babies from.

As an example, last year the majority of my snakes i had to wholesale to a shop because they weren't selling - i got just over a tenner each for them. Supply far outweighs demand for lower end corns unfortanately which drives the price right down, the cheapest I've seen this year so far is £25 for ultra anery - a few years back this would have fetched hundreds.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  01:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so how would i know if i had matching hets. and what is hets?
also what would tow matching hets produce?
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  14:19:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A het is a gene that is carried but not necesarily visible.

For instance if your hypos parents where a hypo and a ghost(Hypo Anery), then the hypo babies would carry the anery gene, making them het for anery.

So if both snakes carried the anery gene and you then bred them to each other you could get Anery babies, aswell as hypos and ghosts(hypo aneries).

Unfortunately without knowing your snakes parents there is no way of knowing of any hets they may carry.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000