Unsuccessful shed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake has skin on its tail that seems to be stopping the blood circulation, this is due to an unsuccessful shed. It's acting like a belt and has created a tight hold around his tail, he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort though. What should I do?

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  21:11:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you know how long it has been on? It might me worth searching on how to give a snake a bath and then trying to get it off with a damp towel.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2010 :  22:09:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When did he last shed?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  05:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the way you describe it Peter, as acting like a belt and creating a tight hold around his tail, makes me wonder if this is the result of more than one unsuccessful shed but a build up of 'tail tips' that is cutting off the blood flow.

It would be good to know when it last shed, as Danny has asked. And how much of the shed has been retained.

If it is a recent shed then the first thing to try is what Sta~ple has suggested, getting it off with a damp towel. Firstly dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with luke warm water and let your snake wriggle through it, putting ever so slight pressure near the tail area so the skin can slide off. After running through it a couple of times hopefully the skin should have come off.

Another method is to try and soak the layer of shed off with warmish water and cotton wool, go really gently, don't pull at the tail.

If this doesnt work you can try to bath it to remove the retained shed, but I am not sure how successful that would be if the shed has been there a while.

The bath can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28 degrees. There is some difference in opinion as to the depth of the water. You can either do it deep enough that its belly can touch the floor in case it wants to rest, or you can put it in water that's about 3 times deeper than itself....it will duck under but don't worry about drowning issues, they are more than capable of keeping their heads above water. You can put a bit of fairy in too, it will help get the water underneath the skin it has retained. Let it swim in it for a couple of minutes or until the temps drop to around 22 degrees. The water will hopefully have helped to loosen and dislodge the skin. It will have no desire to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well. When you get you snake out get a dry towel and let it wriggle through it but apply a bit of pressure to it - it usually helps to encourage the retained shed come off.

If you can not get the shed off, and this is a one-off, it may be that it comes away clean with your snake's next shed, although I would suggest you try to raise the humidity to the next time it goes blue to help aid the shed. But, if this is a problem that has been there a while it may be that there is nothing you can do about it and your snake's tail may end up dying and dropping off. This is a worst case scenario and if it does happen it isnt a major thing, a few forum members have snakes who have slightly stumpy tails and you wouldnt even notice.

Hope this has been of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  20:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try rubbing a small amount of baby oil over where the retained shed starts. It will soften up the outer layers and may help remove it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  09:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help, and it's comforting to know that this isn't as big of an issue as I thought it was. I will try all the techniques suggested by you guys and if nothing happens, then I'll brace myself for the worst case scenario, which as I've now been imformed isn't a disaster, it shouldn't be much of a problem, although I'll try and avoid it at all costs. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My Xena has a blunt tail tip for exactly the same reason. I tried everything to remove the offending "belt" but to no avail. Then one day she shed and the tip came off to reveal a new blunter tip. However I was lucky as it was only the last two or three millimeters of tip that was affected.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2010 :  17:42:43  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You have had advise already about how to get the retained shed off but i thought I would add a pic of my normal Izzy. He has a very stumpy tail as you can see in the pic. I'm not sure exactly how it happened as it was like that when I got him. The previous owners obviously didn't know either as they thought he was a girl due to the short tail. Just wanted to reassure you that even if it is more than just a couple of mm snakes can function perfectly well without the end of their tail. Izzy clings on just fine with it. How much of the tail is affected on your snake?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000