Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  17:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have several more experienced snake owner friends and they all advised (if fact told me in no uncertain terms) not to house together. i had wanted a corn for years before i got tina and my main concern was for her happiness (i didnt want her to be lonely) but i was assured she will be happier on her own and that the risks are to great (all of which have already been mentioned).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  18:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also i just spoke to some1 else who trialed it and he said they where fine until 1 started to shed and because they shed at different times it caused problems as the grumpier shedding snake was naturally more aggressive, so if you do maybe seperating them at early signs of shedding would help avoid any injuries
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  01:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right,

I've spent the first hour of this day reading this topic and I'm really glad I did.

As most of you know I've had Suzie for about 4 days and Lullsbud brought Tango just 2 days ago... Our plan was to house them together.
Both snakes are about 2 months old, we have not yet moved them into a viv together, instead they are in seperate temp housing until we know what we're doing. Since seeing the images on the first page, the plan is now to purchase a larger viv and use a divider in the middle. Hopefully the 2 will get used to each other being around and around the 1 year mark we'll do a few (carfully supervised) divider free hours... As you all know you can quite happily watch a snake for hours on end anyway...

From what I've read, and my comon sense this seems to be the best bet. If anyone can see a fault in my logic plfease make it known, I'd rather look stupid than loose a snake.

Thank you to all the previous posts for the information, you may have stopped something terrible happening...

J

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2009 :  15:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is probably one of the best threads on here, there are loads of peoples opinions on co-habiting on here.
Both bad and good.

As for a fault in your logic, I personally cannot see one, but as you've read, everyone has different opinions. No one can force you not to do something if you want.
All that everyone can say is to go careful know and let us know how you get on in the future.

There are constant risks, some greater than others, the only thing I would say as a definite if you are going to co-habit is to get them feeding in different tubs as well, that way they can be left in the separate tubs for 20 mins or so before being returned to the shared viv, just to let the hunting instincts drop a bit.
I know it'll be quite a long time before that happens, but just wanted to say it now.

I also say that from experience, I myself had a small bit of bother over a year ago when returning snakes into a shared viv that they had been sharing for 8 years.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  20:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I know you shouldn't put two corns together but can I if it's a 6 foot by 1-1/2 viv ? Prob not but thought I'd ask
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  22:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If I was ever going to co-habit, it would only be with adults and preferably two females, I don't think I'd go as big as 6' though, probably 4 or 5' would be sufficient. However, if I had the space for a 6' viv, I'd just get 2 x 3' vivs

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  23:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a 6foot that I have made to fit a gap I have in my front room it's a 7 1/2 foot gap but could not find the right size wood so it's a 6 but I had a old bit or kitchen work surface and wood from an old wardrobe and went to a hardwere store to get the rest of the bits. it came out really well the glass is the most costly thing lol but I'm hopeing I can get them in it soon I need to split it into 2 3 foots and there ok but have to wate until they get bigger first lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  22:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have a male caramel corn and an unknow sex ghost corn they have been housed together for the last month there is a bit of a size difference and ive not had any problems they sleep together on both sides of vivarium but i do feed them seperatly also they have both shed at the same time
caramel corn (baby)
ghost corn (ssst)

Edited by - n/a on 03/01/2010 01:54:28
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  23:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some snakes do seem to get on ok, others don't.
It's normally hatchlings together that are the worst, followed shortly by young snakes. Especially unsexed ones, as early pregnancies in snakes can be fatal.
How old are both your corns?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

20 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Some snakes do seem to get on ok, others don't.
It's normally hatchlings together that are the worst, followed shortly by young snakes. Especially unsexed ones, as early pregnancies in snakes can be fatal.
How old are both your corns?

is the only place to get a snake sexed the vet both mine are about 4 months old when should i worry about them starting to breed

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  02:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You can get them sexed at any decent reptile shop.
I've never heard of any shop charging for it, but it would be worth just giving them a buzz to ask if they can be sexed if you bring them down rather than just turning up with them. :)
Also if you bring them down to 2 different shops, then you'll get a definite idea of the sexes of snakes.

You should worry about them breeding from when they are old enough to.
I've known some snake try it from as little as 6 months old, ideally unsexed snakes should be kept apart from each other.

There is a general rule of 3 for best chances of having successful breeding, anything below the rule of 3 and you stand huge risks of expensive bills and dead or dying snakes.

The rule of 3 is:
3 years old, 3 foot long and at least 300 grams in weight.

But even larger and older adults can still have problems.

Very few people agree with co habiting, as you've read on this thread, but I would recommend you make sure you can split them at the drop of a hat.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  04:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with everything Kehhlyr has said Darren, and just ask that you re-read this thread very carefully so you are fully aware of the risks you are taking when you decide to co-habit. The snakes dont need or want company, they live individually in the wild and only come together for mating...so please dont keep them together because you think they 'need a friend'.

The main problem is that by the time signs of stress are noticed it is already too late....especially for inexperienced owners who dont know what they are looking for. The first thing you might see is a pregnant snake, or wake to injured snakes, or have a timid snake that isnt eating cos it is has been feeling stressed and, although the signs may have been there, you may not have noticed them. Often people think how lovely it is that their snakes 'cuddle together' to sleep, when really they are vying for the best spot in the viv....

I do hope yours are ok and please know that whatever you decide, to co-habit or not, you will still have the help and support of the forum....even if some may disagree with your decision.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  16:52:40  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with kellog on this thread. Personally (and I am no expert) I wouldnt keep two corns together because of the risks. In the wild they wouldnt want to be living three or four feet away from eachother even if they did have hides so if you can afford two vivs then do it that way at least you know that when you are not watching them they wont harm eachother and as said previously in this thread keeping corns seperate stops the spread of infection etc
I get my new corn on the weekend and for me its a seperate viv which i already have. I see on this thread it works for some but personally i wouldnt do it unless i intended to breed two which i probably wont.

cheers

steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  22:30:39  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by da55a

....they sleep together on both sides of vivarium....

i'm sure it will already have been said on this thread....

it's NOT because they like each other, it's COMPETITION FOR THE BEST SPOT!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  13:09:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just found this picture online whilst searching for pics of snakes. I will warn you now, it shows the effects of cannibalism in 2 hatchling corns, and it is very unpleasant.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2530961980088426849zNNXbV

The pic is not mine, full credit goes to the original taker of the picture. Again, it isn't pretty, but I think it shows the exact reason why its not recommended to cohabit young snakes.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  16:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a very well done disection.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2010 :  18:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres a similar story on another forum..
just goes to show that even non feeding corns shouldnt be kept together..
http://iansvivarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4156

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  12:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have my 2 corns in the same viv i only seperate during breeding time as i have 1 male and 1 female i started them off slowly putting them toghter outside and they get along fine the only tip is to feed them sepratly as if you feed together they will fight over food and it anit easy to seprate them i learnt from experince!
just make sure u keep an eye on them to start with
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 3 corns a snow corn which is about a year old, a candy cain and a orange and white one all albino, iv put another one in and it jus disapeared eatin by the big one me thinks casper (snow corn)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  22:56:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

I have 3 corns a snow corn which is about a year old, a candy cain and a orange and white one all albino, iv put another one in and it jus disapeared eatin by the big one me thinks casper (snow corn)

Do you seriously have 3 or 4 different sized corns all sharing a viv?

What do you mean Albino corn?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: