Page: of 2

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  00:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeoc1982

no need for a stat, just measure the temp at the basking spot, if its to hot move the branch/rock further away from the spot bulb till you get the rite temp

so what d you do when you need to have the basking spot a foot away from the basking area, do you then need to block the are so your beardie cant get anywhere its too hot.

Your advice is rediculous to say the least mate. you NEED to have the bulb statted simple as that.

Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so if u place the basking spot/area a foot away from the bulb and it reads 100 degrees, why would u need a stat??

in youre opinion this is wrong is it??

beardies arent stupid, if they get hot they will move to a cooler area of the viv!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:22:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

no need for a stat, just measure the temp at the basking spot, if its to hot move the branch/rock further away from the spot bulb till you get the rite temp

If you think that stats aren't required, then you sir are an idiot of the highest calibre.
We have this forum open for advice for cornsnakes specifically, but for other reptiles as well and for someone to suggest a stat is not necessary just screams "Take me out and shoot me, I know chuff all".

When I get to hot in the garden I just move my garden further away from the sun.....
Oh

Can you see a problem there? or are you to narrow minded as well as stupid?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the point is, your beardie will bask wherever the hell he wants to bask not where you tell him to.

It is completely irresponsible not to provide the proper temps in he viv, you are suggesting just this. Lights MUST, will say it again MUST be statted.

Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you own any beardies my friend??

these vivs maintain 100 degrees at the basking spot and 80 degrees at the cool end. maybe your a bit to hot headed to be expressing your'e opinion on things you clearly no **** all about!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

do you own any beardies my friend??

these vivs maintain 100 degrees at the basking spot and 80 degrees at the cool end. maybe your a bit to hot headed to be expressing your'e opinion on things you clearly no **** all about!

Actually, YES I DO.
I've been keeping them for years and have been breeding them for a fair bit of time as well.
Advice is nice on this forum, however advice from someone with fragmented beliefs and dodgy advice is not handy.
I would suggest a bit more research for you, and as for advice, try to think about what you question before you dish it out, I probably own shoes that are older than you!!!

/quick edit
Just to add, swearing isn't tolerated on this forum.

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/07/2010 01:33:23
Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why would you stat a bulb that maintains the perfect temp?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Because bulbs will not always maintain a perfect temperature.
A small draught blowing through the viv will decrease the temps.
A night time temp drop is impossible to do with a bulb plugged directly into the mains.
When the ambient temp gets to hot, an unstat'd bulb will only help to increase a already overheated viv.
My vivs at this exact time are set to 38c and the bulbs are dim, yet the room temperature that the vivs are in is at 18c.
why is this?? It's because the temps have reached a decent (the set) temperature and don't need to constantly be throwing out the max possible heat.

/quick edit
I just took these photos about 2 minutes ago.

First is the stat'd image.
The second is where I plugged the lights directly into the mains as you suggest.

Now for the un stat'd

Now you can see a massive difference, now try to think what it'd do to the overall temperature....

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 20/07/2010 01:53:35
Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they maintain these temps all day, i have air con, c heating ect to maintain the room temp so the vivs dont over heat. the bulbs go of at night and the room temp remains at 18 degrees.

im not sum jumped up litte idiot who does thing by halfs, my animals get anything they need regeardless of time, cost ect. it was only 2 months ago i slipped with a stanley knife cutting myself from thumb tip to knuckle, threw the nail at 4.30 in the morning because i was building them bigger vivs in the night sos not to diturb them in the day!

ive had my female for almost 4 years and my male for almost 3 they are in top condition, they also get the full vets treatment every year!

Edited by - leeoc1982 on 20/07/2010 01:56:50
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  01:59:33  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

....im not sum jumped up litte ***** who does thing by halfs, my animals get anything they need regeardless of time, cost ect. it was only 2 months ago i slipped with a stanley knife cutting myself from thumb tip to knuckle, threw the nail at 4.30 in the morning because i was building them bigger vivs in the night sos not to diturb them in the day!...........

My animals get all they need as well, but crucially they get the correct temperatures as well.

As for saying you are "sum jumped up litte *****" I did nothing of the sort.
I said you were an idiot for suggesting unstat'd heat sources for your lizards, a totally different phrasing to what you said.
Makes me wonder if you have a thermostat for your snakes as well, or are they just sat on a lovely 60c unregulated heat mat......

Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  02:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
appollogies, im just saying that all the temps ect are correct. there checked all the time be it day/night, winter/summer.

as for my corns, they both have Lucky Reptile Thermo Control 2 II Thermostats.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  02:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In that case, I wish you the best of luck that everything stays good for you.

Unfortunately it was the advice to go without a stat that can cause issues that was my main concern.

Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

24 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  02:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well thanks for your concern. most of us maintain a very high standard and are very proud of our collections, its only a few that need addressing. however i dont think after four years of trouble free ownership i will be needing any luck!
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  02:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my latest viv

The black box at the end is one of these
it is the 500 watt.

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2010 :  11:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oppinion only, but we have a dimmer thermostat on our ceramic heat emitter, with a white light bright bulb shining on our beardies basking spot as well to defuse the UVB rays from the strip light that can harm a beardies eyes (the main reason for a bright white bulb, so he looks at that and not the UVB strip, not because it gives off better heat. As far as I know 100c is 100c) and our house has very good central heating etc.. but in the height of summer, when the house's ambient temp shoots through the roof, the thermostat certainly helps the viv not to shoot through the roof too, by dropping the ceramic heaters output, but leaving the low wattage white light on, so he still looks at that and not the UVB strip. If you're room is central heated stopping it getting too cold in the winter + air conditioned stopping it overheating in the summer, then perhaps the stat wouldn't help, however, there's nothing stopping the heat source going wrong somehow (don't know how, i'm not a spark, but wouldn't want to take the risk) and overheating until it popped or overheated the vivs ambient temps, but a stat would stop that from happening.
If it works for you however, that's great, but not knowing everyone elses housing setups, it is safer, and I think thats why it's always recommended, to have some sort of stat to prevent any misshaps and to help maintain a more uniformed temperature gradient.

I also don't agree with sand, but I know that's another big topic so won't go any further on that lol, one debate at a time I think.

I must also say though, its always an idea, and works well for us, to have more than one basking level (like the photo above), so your beardy can choose where to bask at its correct temps. Its no good saying that the temp is correct on the one and only basking spot (a brick for example - I have seen it done) at 100c when thats the only choice the beardy has. Have a couple of logs or stones or a branch at an angle maybe, measure with a thermometer a few different spots in the warm end ranging from late 80's to 100 maybe even a little higher so the beardy can choose whatever he wants when he wants. I know ours basks in different spots sometimes, and I know they will move to thermoregulate, but its no good if he can only sit there for two minutes before having to go cool down, then come back and so on. He might want to find a happy medium and lounge there for a while before moving higher to a hotter spot later for whatever reason tickles his fancy :)

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000