Strange Clutch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charlie_Corn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  00:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Charlie_Corn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both our females are kept with one male all year round, We take them out when the male is casing them and stress them or if they need fatterning. We havent had any problems with the male though casing the female *touch wood*

Our young grey one layed a clutch of egg, which we took to local shop to have incubated, most of them died and only have 5 or less from that clutch, the our older female (first breeding year with us but laid before) laid a clutch from home, and i told mum i would incubate them, within a day all apart 5/7 turned a horrible brown and smelt a little so took them out.

Could this be the weather or something different ?

Charlie

2.4.1 Corn snakes
2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 Rainbow boa
1.1.0 Hognose Snakes
1.2.0 Crested Geckos
2.9.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Water Dragon
0.0.4 African Land Snails
2.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
3.0.0 Cats
1.1.0 Dogs

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  01:42:35  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They sound infertile, which is why they go off like that.

I would seriously suggest removing the male from the females, although pref all 3 seperated. Are u specifically trying to breed? If so there is a do's n don'ts sheet here on the forum.

Just as a note, the topic of cohabiting is a shark infested path on here :) there will no doubt be links to posts showing why cohabiting a a bad idea.

Let us know how the ones at the shop turn out

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Charlie_Corn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Charlie_Corn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that they was unfertile,

while as i said if anything wrong started to happen then we can and will seprate them all. we didnt plan of breeding them at first, but if they breed they breed, its totaly up to them etc.

dont worry i will

2.4.1 Corn snakes
2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 Rainbow boa
1.1.0 Hognose Snakes
1.2.0 Crested Geckos
2.9.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Water Dragon
2.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
3.0.0 Cats
1.1.0 Dogs
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  16:10:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Corn

I know that they was unfertile,

while as i said if anything wrong started to happen then we can and will seprate them all. we didnt plan of breeding them at first, but if they breed they breed, its totaly up to them etc.

dont worry i will

If you can seperate them, then why do you cohabit? If anything i would atleast seperate the male, as he will pester and stress the females.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  19:57:23  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Males are generally 'very pushy' (that was polite version!) and if you want to breed your snakes then thats cool, but stick to 3 years old, 300g minimum and at least 3 foot long. If you go less than that it can cause bad health issues and potentially death.

(for an example, my girl was 666g when I mates her and she went down to 410g when she finally laid. thats a loss of 256g, which if she had started at 300g or less, she would be VERY ill or dead.

Also you get the very high probability of eggboundness, this can kill which at least one member on here has suffered.

They don't make the decision not to mate, the boys will go for it and if she gets gravid, then jobs a good-un.

I'm not trying to scaremonger, but advise. We all care about the snakes first and foremost on here, and it's upsetting when something goes wrong and it could have been avoided.

Mostly, if something does go wrong, you may not know about it until it's too late.

Best plan, get them sexed, and split them into male/female seperate vivs if nothing else! :D

This means if you DO want to breed them, you can make sure she's fed up nicely and is healthy before entering into it, meaning maximum egg health, and good snake health.

Good luck tho!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read my post on sanj thread, it covers a lot of what you have done too.
There is no point saying if they breed they breed, would say the same of an 8 year old child????
Do some research please, understand why people like me get so damn irate when someone does something for their own good, or causes unnesessary suffering through ignorance.

Don't run away because I got a*sey, understand why.
Also, realise that I am doing this for the sake of the animal, not just to have a pop at you.

Go to Top of Page

Charlie_Corn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  04:41:43  Show Profile  Visit Charlie_Corn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry but it seems like you are treating me like i dont know how to breed a simple corn snake. i do. and we have never considered breeding any of them under the 333 rule. if anything they are fatter then the min weight required. i do know that breeing skinnie snakes can cause alot problems and vet bills and i know there is a chance of egg boundness and we prevent that. as i said if anything was to adrise we would take the male out to fatteren them up and then re-introduce. the reason we house all year round (unless when needed for weight issues if any) if because we have done this from the start without any problems and we have been told from breeders and shop this shouldnt be a problem etc. i doubt the females eggs was infertile because of their health in all due respect, i know your only warning but i feel there is nothing to warn about as they are as healthy as anything. we have healthy good eggys last year and i generaly think it was because we didnt get them into the incubator quick enough, or the fact of the male, this year he has two in with him instead of the one last year. if you was to see how they live and how they act i can asure you, you wouldnt be as worried as what you are sounding on here...

2.4.1 Corn snakes
2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 Rainbow boa
1.1.0 Hognose Snakes
1.2.0 Crested Geckos
2.9.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Water Dragon
2.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
3.0.0 Cats
1.1.0 Dogs
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  10:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly the only way to decrease the possibility of one of your females becoming eggbound is to separate them, a snake becoming eggbound is not something that can be totally prevented - it can happen to any snake whether they are kept with males or not but there is an increased risk if the snake cohabits,
the eggs were infertile because your male didnt get his bullets in the gun before firing - which could be just a one off for him or he could be stressed..its not just the ladies that get stressed..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Charlie_Corn
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  13:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Charlie_Corn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thank you for explaining it alot nicer then the others, i didnt relsie there was a higer risk of egg boundness when the snakes are kept rogehter, will keep that in mind and this does make me think to house them differently, females together male seprate... it should be a one off as he did produce a nice big clutch last year... so will keep a eye on this. thanks again

2.4.1 Corn snakes
2.0.0 Royal Pythons
1.1.0 Rainbow boa
1.1.0 Hognose Snakes
1.2.0 Crested Geckos
2.9.0 Leopard Geckos
1.0.0 Water Dragon
2.1.0 Rabbits
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
3.0.0 Cats
1.1.0 Dogs
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one suggested you dont know how to breed corns, its very easy. What was suggested is that you are unaware of the dangers of co habitting adult opposite sex snakes. You are aware of them now, which is good, now have you separated them?

Edited by - mikerichards on 09/07/2010 16:01:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000