Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  21:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, all!
A snake has appeared in my garden shed, what with this hot weather and all. I think that it is one of your corn snake chappies, about 4 foot long and 2 inches wide.
This evening I have been going around neighbours asking after its owner but had no luck.

Question: how far might a healthy, inquisitive escapee range from its home? Terrain is Suffolk countryside.

I have put out a bowl of water but I'm not planning on securing a supply of mice

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  21:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They can get quite far in the current weather conditions.
If you could capture it or take photos we'd be able to identify it for you in which case you could either then have a free snake (woo) or it'd be easier to find it's owners or new owners.
Either way it'd then survive for longer, as I wouldn't think it'd stay in the shed for long.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  20:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi post pics

Go to Top of Page

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  23:08:34  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe think of it like a pet rabbit. It will stand a much better chance of survival if it can be returned to it's owner. If you could get it into a box or even a cloth bag someone will be a very relieved owner. As for range I have no idea, although I don't imagine they are renown for long distance running.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  17:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Extraordinary, still here! Here we are 5 days on and Snake has left matters still in our hands, it has come back out of its impregnable hide-hole and this morning was back in view curled up in my shed. So much for moving on and out of my life.

Congratulations are due to someone, or maybe that is all of you, on an informative website. I am confident that I know heaps more about captive snakes than I did a week ago. Especially surprised about the restraint in handling, leaving it to digest for a couple of days and care in cross-snake hygiene. I liked your bold statements on what an owner realistically can and cannot expect of their pet. "Can't train him to answer to his name..." so obvious but only after taking the trouble to write it down.

I have spent much of today trying to edit this post only to conclude that although this is "my topic", the first post of the topic cannot be editted once anyone else has posted a reply (for which we are, of course, very grateful ). I kept getting a VisualBasic-looking error message;
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'rs'
/forum/post.asp, line 642

Thus I have posted a reply to my own topic.

The situation now is that I am trying to contact a specific one of our members. I stumbled across their profile and they have impeccable credentials either to advise or take on a new charge. I only hope that they will reply to me soon...

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  18:25:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Dawww bless it!

Good with finding his owner or trying to find one for him. You could just keep him ;)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  20:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there, keep us updated on his progress!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where abouts are you? Only I know that there is somewhere a colony of corns living wild, and surviving and thriving infact!! If he is coming back then he has probably found a bit of food and water and is happy!! Only thing to note that if it is wild, it will bite you if you try and catch it, its nothing fatal, but worth knowing!! There is also the possibility that wild animals could carry diseases, and worms if its food suffered as such.
If no one on here can help you, I can put you in touch with a guy at the rspca that deals with reptiles, although he will want you to catch it first!!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently 'server failed to respond' means your reply gets posted twice!
Apologies for my stupid phone, I shall hence forth beat it.

Edited by - mikerichards on 05/07/2010 21:35:33
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  21:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah supposedly that colony is on the South Downs I think..
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  22:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can I ask the area where you are?
Obviously Suffolk doesn't narrow it down a great deal.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  02:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can add to this is that it is a very lucky snake to have decided to set up home in your shed HappyCrane....you are obviously someone who cares, which is shown by the way you have tried to learn everything you can about what might be living in your shed! Others would just be trying to work out how to kill it . Am glad you like our forum too, its always good to hear positive things about it .

I do hope you manage to contact the forum member who can help....and, as Hillzi has said, I hope you keep us updated on what happens.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vagabond at repose, not your normal spick-and-span setting.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  20:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is a nice looking corn

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  21:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a hypo! Nice find, i'd keep him..
Go to Top of Page

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  22:05:14  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
awww cute snake sorry i couldnt be much use :( and i hope the number i gave you helps

Corn Snake - Ayame
Mexican Black Kingsnake - Ryuzaki
Bearded Dragon - Puff
Salmon pink Tarantula - Olivia
Antilles pinktoe Tarantula - MossChops

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  02:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He/she is a beauty and obviously fairly tame and looks to be in good health (although it is hard to tell). I hope it is caught soon and finds a good home.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  23:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a bit alarmed yesterday when I thought that the weather was turning and the temperature dropping, I got overwrought that Snake would be in distress, what an over-reaction! It did, however, spur us on to next decisions. Nova thankfully has got back to us and has given us valuable moral support but not conveniently gone as far as saying anything like "Stand aside, Mortals, I will take it from here!"

I have held back from going around any more neighbours looking for an owner and instead we are taking steps to pull together some snake-keeping kit. This without first catching Snake, foolish optimism?

Perhaps foolish optimism will win through. Today, D+8, Snake was still in residence, was offered a mouse (hey, I'm no expert, to me it was just a mouse) and half an hour later said mouse was gone. I think we know who took it and, importantly, I reckon that buys the foolish optimists some extra time.

The case continues...
Go to Top of Page

Tatsie-j
Hatchling

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  23:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow thats quite a story hopefully ull b a proud owner of a very nice looking snake!

Anery - Bailey
Amel- Coraline
Normal - Zebedee
Butter Motley - Kitrino
Cats - Danny & Jasper

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  10:06:37  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's a gorgeous snake! (looks like mine!!) It's a normal Hypo by the looks of it! :D

Best plan, until you've got a proper set up, get it into a RUB (really useful box) with kitchen towel, water and a hide, as then at least you can make sure it hasn't got any mites or anything, plus you know that all the set up will have an occupier! :D

Good luck!

(drools over snake!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  10:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what would have happened had someone told you 10 days ago that you might be a snake owner soon, I bet you would have just laughed at them !

Well done for taking the plunge and deciding to take this snake on - you are gaining a beautiful snake that a lot of us would love to find in our shed .

Am so glad you bought a mouse and fed it. It will now probably hide away for 48hrs to digest the meal so may disappear, but it will also know that it can get food where it is so could very well hang around. Depending on how long it is going to take you to get all the kit together you could do as Mouse has suggested, as at least then you would know it is safe from cats etc....and you would know you have a snake to put in it!

Any ideas about how you are going to catch it?

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000