Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scar2003snake
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  21:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, im new here, so go easy on me,lol
I have a adult corn snake called Scar, which ive had for 7 years. Up untill 6 months ago, he stayed at my mums for 14 months due to me moving to a small flat. But in the last 3 months, he's been eating more and shedding more, and when he sheds, it comes of in peices, not as one peice of skin. Im i doing anything wrong or am i being paranoid? I do bath him every other day and everyday before he sheds. Thanks sam

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  22:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is no need to bath him untill after the bad shed to get the skin off. Certainly don't bath him every other day or every day up untill his shed.

As for why he is shedding in bits im afraid i can't help you with.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  22:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shedding in bits is down to possible stress, the best thing you can do is but a damp hide in with him when he goes blue, dont go mad, just a small tub with sphagnum moss nicely misted with water. That should help him shed. One thing to do, check for eye caps and the tip of his tail.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  00:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i am new i have a female corn who is feeding every week and sheding in one piece everytime but she is shedding every two weeks should she be doing this i have only had her for just over a month as she was my sons. she is around 6 months to a yr old not 100% sure !

Heavenly Cameron
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  03:06:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Heavenly
Welcome to the forum. Go along to our Introdution section and say hello properly, you'll got a proper welcome then!
If you start a new thread of your own, about your snake shedding, then you'll get a better responce..... most people will look at a new thread!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  05:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you give us some more info about Scar's set-up Samantha? Viv size, temps, etc....am just wondering if we can try and work out why he has changed his shedding pattern.

Mike....if he is eating more and shedding in pieces could that indicate a health problem?

What is he feeding on and how much does he weigh? How often is he shedding?

I know it is a lot of questions but the more info we can get the more helpful we can be.

Mike's suggestion about the damp hide is a good one....you can put it in once his eyes have cleared. You could swap the usual hides for damp ones or put some sphagnum moss in his usual hides....this way he HAS to use them. This is a link to making a damp hide - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699.

This link gives you some info on how to prepare and use sphagnum moss - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9902

Also, once you see him go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity.

All I do is mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Hope this is of some help.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 28/06/2010 05:49:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000