Shedding and Humidity question.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  23:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristofferson the corn snake has been having trouble shedding lately and we think he needs more humidity. Apparently you can use Spagnum Moss in a humidity chamber to help with this. Does green moss work as well? I ask because the Green moss is cheaper than spagnum or at least comes in smaller packages. Also, can you use Spagnum peat moss?

Thanks.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  00:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Spagnum peat moss is basically the dead and decayed spagnum moss, so is more like a nice soil than anything else, so wouldn't be very suitable to give a bit more humidity for shedding.

Green moss should work just as well, but pour some lovely hot water over it first then let it cool a bit, to kill off any beasties that could be in it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  11:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can use vermiculite too if prefered, it does the same job. Just don't soak it too much, whichever you decide to use, just give it a couple of sprays with a mister and you will be away. Having said that, corns generally don't need help shedding, are there any scars or defect marks in the scales? They can cause the skin to rip when shedding.
You can also give the snake a shallow bath in warm water, leave to soak for ten mins then the skin should come off no problem.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  13:14:12  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just a little addition to mikes comment, a bath should only really be used after a bad shed not in preperation for one and the water temperature should be monitored.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 23/06/2010 15:51:35
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  15:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was refering to retained shed, seeing as he has being having bad sheds.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  15:50:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i was refering to retained shed, seeing as he has being having bad sheds.

I know but i was just making sure that it was clear as reading through your post the OP could have misunderstood.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 23/06/2010 15:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  03:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on whether Kristofferson is in a faun or a viv there are other ways to increase the humidity as well.

To help him out next time he sheds, once you see him go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as he will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once his eyes have cleared you can add the damp hide which will also help. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin. You can either use his normal hides or make a damp hide to put in, removing his usual hide so he is forced to use it.

These links may be of help -

Making a damp hide: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

Moss - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9902

I am sorry about his trouble shedding, I have just been through a bad shed with Silvesta so know how stressful it can be removing the retained shed and making sure the eye-caps and tail tip have come away. I do hope some of these suggestions help with his next shed.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000