sHedding problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  21:25:27  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My rusty went all faded and his eyes went grey and was showing signs of his first shed. Next thing, eyes have gone normal and no skin in his viv???? Why?

Cheers

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)
0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Heidi
1.1 Kings - Pete (Florida) + Mamba (Cali Stripe)
1.2 Ball Pythons (Pastel + Bumblebee + Normal)

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  21:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because he is just getting ready to shed in the next few days or so, they will go blue then that will appear to clear then shed. hang fire wont be too much longer to wait.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  22:46:52  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh, does it matter if I just fed him?

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  22:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope he may or may not take it, if this is his first shed with you may be an idea to leave it till he sheds as you dont know how his shed will go

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  23:31:01  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cheers mac! I'll let you know

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  03:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So many new owners are caught out by this Steve ....but Gmac has explained it perfectly.

It is a personal choice I think about feeding during the period of them going blue and shedding. To my thinking they are very vulnerable at this time as their eyesight is compromised, so in the wild they would be hidden away....not out looking for food. I also know that missing one meal isnt going to make any difference. BUT this is only my personal choice and I know lots of members do feed their snakes during this time - and some snakes will feed while blue but others wont. I also dont handle during this time, even once their eyes have cleared (probably the hardest time for me as I get withdrawal symptoms from not having my snake time !!). Even once their eyes have cleared they are partially blind and I want to avoid as much stress for them as possible.

I am not sure from your comment whether you mean you have just fed him or are asking if you should feed him. If you have just fed him then it shouldnt make a difference....if you are thinking about feeding him then I would follow Gmac's suggestion and leave it this time round until you know what sort of shedder he is.

What you need to look out for now is Rusty being a bit more active, then rubbing his head along the sides of his viv, hide, any branches, etc. This happens because he is trying to loosen the shed from around his jaw....and once that has loosened then it can happen very quickly! But be warned....I am convinced there is a corn-conspiracy ! They seem to wait until their owners leave the room and then slip out of their old skin and slither round quite happily in their new bright colours showing them off when their owners return to the room....with their old skin lying forlorn in the corner . Seriously though, a lot of corns shed at night and I know a number of members havent had the chance to see their corns shed....despite keeping them for a number of years. So I really do hope you get lucky and get to see Rusty shed.

What is vital once he has shed is checking the shed skin for the eye caps and tail tip....as if these are retained they can cause problems. If the shed is not a clean one then you know where you can come for help .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  08:07:46  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kellog..... How good are you!!!! Such detailed replies. I did feed him as I thought he had shed cos his eyes had gone normal. So wiered and fasinating. and I searched the hole viv for a skin!

:-)

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  08:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People are caught out by this, and it surprises me just how many.
The reason it caught you out is because you didn't know, because you probably did zero research on how to care for and what to expect from the snake.
My suggestion, in all honesty, and trying not to sound rude, is research, learn about the snakes, if you didn't know what to expect when the snake is going to shed, how are you going to know if there is a problem?

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  09:37:42  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose you learn by your own mistakes. I did actually do quite a bit of research before I got him. There are always going to be things to learn as you go along, otherwise life wouldn't be life. I read up on shedding, and all I was told was to look out for the eyes going grey etc... No one mentioned to me that the eyes go normal before they actually shed. It actually makes sence to think that they only go back to normal after a shed. When someone picks up a guitar for the first time, should they have read up and become an expert knowing every last detail before they play it?

No malace ment, but I do believe that I have done sufficiant research before setting up his life, after all, it's nature and there are no set rules, just basic guide lines.

:-)

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  10:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is true, but a guitar has no feeling, it can't suffer if you can't play it, its just everyone else who suffers!
I appreciate there is a lot to learn, it never stops, I been doing this for over 20 years and still learn new things.

The problem is not you personally, its the general thought that snakes can be picked up and kept with little to no research done on how is the most ideal way to keep them, and what they need, not so much on a day to day basis, but little things that make them unique, shedding is one thing, how much to feed and when, diseases especially is something that gets over looked, if a snake gets a chest infection, an RI, do you (not you sepicifically) know what to do, impactions, bad shed, eye problems, scale rot etc etc...
A lot of stuff gets overlooked, I can understand its a lot of info, but it saves precious time if you don't have to ask for help with things like that.

I know that's an ideal world scenario, I know its unrealistic for new keepers to know every little detail.
As you say, it makes sense that they won't stay cloudy, and also, it is a learning curce, sometimes its steeper than others.
I am pleased you reasearched it, you may be surprised how many people don't!

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  16:47:32  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
:-) - to be honest, i do have a real interest in snakes, and everyday i find something new. Its thanks to this site and others, that i have gone ahead and bought one. One thing i listened to most, was that corns are easy to keep. But that obviously deosnt mean that they are the easiest living thing to keep. I think the only living creature that is slightly easier, is THE WIFE! but some would contest to that.

in terms of the guitar.....if i dont play it right, it suffers a traumatic life, but when i play it right, the colours shine and the sound they make are incredible ! ;-)

Peace..

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  18:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, happy days.

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  22:55:37  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shed!! All done

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  23:15:01  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one steve I take it you checked the shed for the eyecaps and tail tip?

Editted to add: As Kellog has already suggested...Kellog I think your famous brain fog is catching...sorry for the echo

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 23/06/2010 00:18:43
Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  21:35:14  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea, eye caps all there. Some awsome new colours have shon through! Its like I have a new corn!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  02:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately Mike is right Steve, too many people do go into snake keeping without doing enough research into it - many without doing any. I will admit to not having done enough before I got Kellog, but then it was supposed to be my OH and son who were the ones being the snake-keepers not me . Even when you research there is info missing - I just checked our own care-sheet and it only mentions the 'dulling of your snake's skin colour, general inactivity and their eyes will turn a bluish grey colour.'....nothing about the slight clear period between them being 'true blue' and shedding.

But the important thing is that you are on here and finding out more and more, learning all the time. In an ideal world we would all learn everything before we got our snakes, but this world is so far from ideal.

(sorry Elament....didnt realise brain fog was catching !!)

So glad Rusty shed well....did you get to see it?

quote:
Originally posted by sullysteve

........Some awsome new colours have shon through! Its like I have a new corn!

Pics???? Need to see your new corn !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

sullysteve
Yearling

United Kingdom
507 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  06:49:03  Show Profile  Visit sullysteve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will get some new pics soon.
I watched him start shedding and got impatiant and went for a pint. Came back and I had a new snake!!

Good place this!

1.0 Corns Geoff (Ghost)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  07:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome mate, a lot of info you need you can get just by watching and keeping the snake, you know when something is wrong because he doesn't act normal, stuff like that. Ironically, some of the older books are better to read as they go into vast detail, a lot of the new ones only gloss over the basics.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000