Glycon has shed, should I feed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gregDT
Egg

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:25:18  Show Profile  Visit gregDT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a week of being about the most secretive serpent ever. Glycon came out today and shed. I was out at work and missed the whole thing, pah! Anyway I have a single skin and I can see both eye caps and the tail seems to end in a tiny scale that looks (to me anyway) like a tiny bubble, so I think the shed went OK. The shopkeeper told me he was an easy shedder and appears to be quite correct. He's now in his cool hide having a kip.

A couple of newbie questions. First if his skin is 40" stretched out can I assume he's about 36" long (skin - 10%). I know there is no 'average' snake but is that about right for a two year old?

He's due a feed on Wednesday but as he's just shed should I bring it forward to tonight or does two days not really matter?

I've tried a forum search and think I'm right about the way to calculate snake length but couldn't find anything definitive about feeding after a shed, although I'm sure I read somewhere here that he will be ravenous

Greg

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:31:15  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I normly feed mine the day after the shed, but this is just because mine tend to shed in the night time.

Taking 10% off the shed length isn't and exact science so he could be a little bigger or smaller but i would say thats fine for a 2 year old. Length dosn't really matter though, aslong as he's a healthy weight he's fine.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if he normally feeds on a Wednesday and you want to keep to that schedule just wait till Wednesday wont make any difference.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  03:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news about Glycon shedding so well Greg ....and well done for checking the eye caps and tail, it certainly sounds like he is a good shedder. Trust him to have shed while you were at work ....just an example of the corns' sense of humour !

Tend to agree with Gmac regarding the feeding. Unless my snakes have missed a feed while they have been blue then I stick with their normal feeding schedule.

Danny is right about it only being an approximate length....the skin can stretch more or less than 10% and we have no way of knowing. But then Glycon is not going to lie still so you can run a tape measure along him ! If you are interested in his length (although as Danny has said, it really isnt that important as long as he is growing and is a healthy weight) then you could try using this - http://www.serpwidgets.com/Apps/measure.html. I think a number of forum member use it although I havent tried myself.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  06:59:29  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just carry on with the normal feeding routine. If your snake will eat then that's good. If he refuses then don't worry, just offer him food when he would be due a feed again. They can go a long time without food so it won't do him any harm to miss a feed if he doesn't want it. Hope that helps.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to find out how accurate the method is, measure the snake!!
You don't need to change the feed cycle for shedding, a lot of the time corns feed through a shed anyway, just carry on as normal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000