New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read all about cohabitating and I just want a bit of advice before I make any desicions.

I have a male and female and if I was to put them together would they mate this year? and would I end up having eggs this year? Do corns mate all year round?

They are both the right age and size for breeding so no worries about egg binding or making them ill.

Ta

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:16:12  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just because they are the right size or right age dosn't mean egg binding won't happen. Egg binding can happen for various reasons and is increased if the snake is stressed, which would happen if they were together.

I don't know wether they would mate now although i would have thought it was a possibility but if you have the space and equipment to keep them seperate and stress free why do you want to cohabit?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
corns will mate at any opportunity. Also just because your corns are the correct size for breeding egg binding may still happen it is not size dependant.

Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  17:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thank you, that's just the advice I was looking for.
If I could cohabitate it would be easier for me but I wouldn't do anything to harm the snakes.

The female has cohabitated inthe past with another female but if stress is a big factor I won't bother.

Cheers guys
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well in my honest opinion it wont be easier for you, it may end up worse. If you end up with an egg bound female, who would cost a bomb to get the eggs out, she may die in the process and so may all of her eggs.

I'd stick to single housing HannaH, much easier to analyse if a praticular snake has shed/has problems etc and reduces stresses of competition for the hottest spot etc.

Quick ninja edit:/

Well done for asking, please dont think I'm scaremongering you I'm just against co-habiting. But well done for asking instead of sticking them together with unknown consequences.

On the other hand people DO cohabit with no problems, but premature 'gravid-ness' is incredibly common IF you don't do the right things.

Edited by - hillzi on 20/06/2010 18:16:25
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  18:28:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Snakes will mate any time of year, I kept a male and female pair together and they mated in December! Other people who kept there together have had there's mate at weird times as well.

The male was fine with being with another snake, the girl wasn't, she was constantly sat on and she never really came out of hiding..

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  22:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I didnt know it was so bad for them to be housed together. I've read all the post on sucessful co-habitating but thought it best to ask.

I was going to put them together for breeding season anyway but am still not sure to leave them together or have them together at intervals?

any advice on how to keep them together in breeding season?

I always take the advice given me very seriously and would hope that anyone who reads my posts take the seriouness of my questions.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  22:02:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would put them together in intervals so you can also see wether they have locked.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  22:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Be careful with mating in general though.
My Mr kelloggs is about 10 years old (I think, i shall do the math later) and he's only been able to successfully do the deed 3 times, even breeding is not without it's risks. My last attempt at breeding is likely to cost him his male bits, although a bit of a freak issue it's just one of those things that I've always thought wouldn't happen.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  03:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I just echo what Hillzi has said Hannah...it is so good that you have asked about this rather than just gone ahead and done it. There are so many other consequences to co-habiting than them mating.

You say you have read all the posts on successful co-habiting (I am not sure where)....but if you have a read of this thread then you will see how emotional this topic can get and what could have happened if you had decided to put them together - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070. I am sure that after reading it you will be happy that you have made the right choice.

You really do sound as though you are the sort of person who puts the welfare of their snakes first (unfortunately there are other sorts of owners around ) and just the fact that you have asked about this and taken on board what has been said shows how much you care about your snakes. A lot of people do it just cos it is easier for them and cheaper....but for you I know that you wouldnt want to do anything to put your snakes at risk.

I am no expert about breeding, but I have read a lot on here about what can happen....and Kehhlyr is right about being careful. You need to go into it with your eyes open as to the risks. We recently had 2 forum members (1 a breeder and the other an experienced snake owner) whose females became egg bound....unfortunately one of those snakes died as a result of it. Just ask yourself why you are doing it and is it worth it.... Strange question I know but often people just do it 'to experience it', and is it really worth putting your snakes at risk for your own experience? But I suspect you are not that sort of owner.

All I can suggest is that you do as much research as possible before deciding whether to put your snakes together when the time is right....and when/if you do it, be prepared.

You know you always have the forum to support you with it all and you are the sort of owner that we welcome....the sort who puts the welfare of her snakes as her top priority .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  10:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt know that there were any careless owners. And I wouldnt house them together if I could house them individually.

Kellog you have really given me alot to think about, seeing as I had no idea how serious it was to breed my snakes I thought it was just a "natural" thing, and the owners were just there to supervise.... but i guess I was wrong.

I'm going to read through that topic you sujested.

again MANY THANKS for all advice
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  10:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As above really, i co habit some of my corns, but ALWAYS the same sex, males are sex pests and hassle the female all the time.
Instead of trying to allow corns to do what is 'natural', allow them some time together is you wish to breed, this means you can then feed the female up to give her the best possible chance at breeding.
beleive it or not, there are many careless owners out there, mostly people who dont bother to read up on basic care, and when they ask for advice, if it doesnt suit them then they ignore it.
being responsible sometimes means you have to admit you are wrong (if you are wrong), and learning about the right way to do things.
A healthy female shouldnt become egg bound, in theory, but it does happen, and a lot of times it kills the females, mostly because people arent ready for the situation.
breeding should be done on your timescale, not the snakes, if left to him he will just get his end away as much as he possibly can, and that will lead to a lot of stress for the female, who then prob wont eat, and then wont be fit to carry eggs.

Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... ok if I decide to put them together next season (BIG IF) does that mean the second I put him in with her that he will try imediatly? (will be the first time for both) Is there anything I should look out for if I need to seperate them? and what does the mateing behavour look like???

Why would anyone take on the responsibility of ANY reptile without basic care knowledge?
Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is it ok to co-habitate only females? Do they not fight for the "best spot" and things like that?
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He might not necessarily try immmediately, he may have a wander around his new surroundings for a while first. Then again he may just hunt out the female.....

Generally the mating behaviour is easy to see by the male quite often 'chasing' the female around the viv while rapidly shaking and vibrating his body close to the vent, when the female finally allows him to do the deed, they'll quite often twist their tails together where the male and female will lock together at the vent.

You'd also be surprised how many people take on reptiles without basic care knowledge.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

HannaH
Egg

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  13:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kehhlyr.

Also... the female is in the 4ft tank will that be big enough for them both?
I also hurd that males "twitch" when the female slides over him? or somthing like that, do you think that could be the same as shaking his head?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000