New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  23:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just thought I would say Hi,

I am so new to corn snakes I have not even decided which "make or model" I want yet.

have three Bearded Dragons (1.2) and four Sinai Agamas (2.2) have two epmty viv's alls et up with UVB / Heat light etc, but want to move away from lizards for my next house mates.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have seen som many Fantastic colour morphs I really don't know what is hot and what is not, saw two at Grange Reptiles the other day, fell madly in love with them but holding back as I would appreciate advice on choosing, selecting male / female, what Morphs etc. do the temraments differ in relation to the morph. ??

Hope to get to know you all here, very pleased I found this website.

Regards

Taz

If you like it DO IT, yer a long time dead.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  00:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya welcome to the forum.

no temparement diff between morphs or sexes as for morphs, its entirely up to you and what you want.

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  00:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

Yep, like gmac said, there is no difference between the morphs (allowing for different personalities in each snake of course) so just pick the one you like the look of the most!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  04:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Taz, I am so pleased that you have joined us and before you have got your corn so you can learn everything you need to before getting them! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship .

I am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133. Obviously you already have experience with keeping reps and have some of the necessary equipment and information, but it is better repeated twice than not at all.

Gmac is right about there being no real difference between sexes and morphs....although there are some rumours regarding it, nothing substantiated and nothing to take any notice of ! The only thing to be aware of when getting a male is that as it matures they will go through the breeding season....during which they become very active, constantly try to escape their vivs and refuse to eat. I am just coming out of the end of that with my 2 males, who hadnt eaten since the end of March ....but as long as you know why they are not eating it is something you are prepared for.

I know there are some amazing morphs out there. I am not sure if you have discovered Ians Vivarium yet (http://iansvivarium.com/cornsnakemorphs.php). It is a good site as it shows what the corn will look like as a hatchling and as an adult....they do change a lot. The only thing I would say is that it is very easy to get 'tunnel visioned' about a particular morph and you then dont see the many beautiful corns that are out there that are seen as being not so 'hot'. Just look at my Kellog and Silvesta - a ghost and an anery....your more common types of corn but stunning. If I had written off that type of morph then I would have missed out on them!

I am not sure if you have found this with your beardies and lizards, but you will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately a lot of us have found that many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. On this forum no question is regarded as a silly question....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button....type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. The only reason I mention this is that I desperately want to see pics of your Sinai Agamas !!! Are your males as stunning a colour as they are in the wild? Also your beardies mustnt be forgotten ....there are many forum members who own beardies as well. I look forward to seeing pictures of them all in the 'Other Reptiles' photo section.

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!! (and do you realise how jealous so many of us will be to be in your situation - with 2 empty vivs that need filling !!)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  09:39:16  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  11:05:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome here :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  12:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  13:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI All,

Thank you for your welcome and I must say a big thanks to Kellog, who has provided me with some very good and interesting information already.

Will sort out a couple of Pic's as soon as I can to upload, as for the Agama's they are lovely when they are in their breeding colours, sort of like most reptiles, they are so small I laughed when my wife picked them for herself (birthday) sor of Beardie lunchtime if thy get too close.

WOW, I really have a lot to consider in relation to Corn Snakes, not even considering getting anything until everything is set up, I understand their needs and can provide a good a home as my other reptiles, must addmit though in relation to being addicted to Corns, I have had my eye on adding a couple to my family for many years, just work and family have not allowed it.

Looking forward to getting to know you and being a part of this GREAT informative forum,

regards

TAZ (Tom)

If you like it DO IT, yer a long time dead.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  17:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  17:43:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  18:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. This is a very good place for all things snake.
Glad you liked Kellogs welcome. Very good advice there.
Nice to see you have other reptiles. They're lovely creatures, but much too misunderstood which is a shame. They make super pets for those who don't always want a dog or cat.
Photos are always welcome on here so get busy with your camera. We look forward to meeting your pets.
Let us know what you finally get after you've done all your research and got all the gear!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

luke1989
Hatchling

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  00:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome :D

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2010 :  12:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Tom, welcome to tcs

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  16:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  19:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

Had to admit I didn't know what Sinai Agamas where till I googled them They are gorgeous

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  11:21:03  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome to the forum

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  19:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ginger-taz and welcome to the forum, your about to discover what will become your new addiction!! just a quick point tho, you say you have uvb/heat lamps in your vivs. i'd recommend you get a couple of heat mats controlled by a thermostat as corns dont need uvb lights and get their heat thru their tummies.hope you find something you like soon-corns are addictive!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  09:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tom mate welcome to the forum!

No real difference to males and females as I've discovered, females could get egg bound during breeding and produce dud eggs without breeding, and male corn snakes can go off their food for months on end due to breeding season;

My lad hasn't eaten since March, but I've not seen him yet today so hope is he's cooling down, he was like the energizer bunny when he was on heat!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000