Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  15:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
First post for a while.
Marge is doing really well, she is 1 inch longer and 10g heavier than when i got her two monthes ago.
she has just shed for the secound tine in 6 weeks, it all went ok, dull skin first, then blue eye's and then the next morning an intact skin in the Faun.
My son was over the moon as he wanted the last skin, but it was in bits.
There doesn't see to be any problems i just wondered if this was normal.

Sorry for the lack of posts on my part, will try harder.

Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  16:05:44  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
probably just a growth spurt with growing that much in 2 months,i wouldnt worry

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  20:55:20  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you mean is it normal to shed twice in that time or is it normal for the old skin to be found in bits?
Whichever, the answer is yes that's normal!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  22:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My russian sheds every 2 weeks when hes on a growth mission. Dont worry about it, the shedding in bits is more concerning than the frequency, and even that i wouldnt worry about at all, its just one of those things.

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  22:46:07  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Funny this post coming up My Colin looks a bit dull this evening (OH reckons i am imagining it)and has been inactive for the last coupla days and thats a couple of weeks early by my reckoning I will know on thursday when its feeding day.

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  03:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had this happen with both of mine Glyn....and they are adults and havent put on any growth spurts or been injured in any way (which is another reason for an early shed). No corn follows a text book in its behaviour and Marge is obviously doing well and is growing fast....probably the reason for the shedding so quickly - she is out-growing her skin ! So that part is nothing to worry about.

I know you have had an intact skin with her first shed with you, but the fact that the second shed was in bits may mean she needs a bit of help when she is preparing to shed.

Next time you see her go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into her viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as Marge will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums (which, I am guessing, Marge is in) there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

Once her eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide which will also help, or put moss in her normal hide. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help her loosen her skin.

It is so good to hear how well she is doing, and no worries about the lack of posting - it shows you have a life unlike some of us (me )!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  12:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Thanks for the advice.
Both of marge's sheds have gone well but the first was not a complete intact skin(she also pood on it) and my kids were a
Bit dissapointed. This time it was nearly 100 % intact and is doing the rounds at his school as we speak.
Her colour looks great at the moment and her size differance is quite noticeable.
Thanks all.
Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so where are the pictures of her looking shiny??

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fair cop gov'.I would correct that right now but have just fed her, and will not handle her for 48 hrs.
I normaly feed her on Sundays but was working and forgot to ask O/H to get her food out of the freezer.(first left past the fish fingeres!)
No great problem and fed her this afternoon, although from the speed she eat the small mouse, i think i may need bigger food,I will buy 1 med mouse next time i stock up and try her on it.

speak to you all soon.

Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  03:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glynjones

........No great problem and fed her this afternoon, although from the speed she eat the small mouse, i think i may need bigger food,I will buy 1 med mouse next time i stock up and try her on it.

Will be great to see pics of Marge soon Glyn, and I am so glad her last shed was full enough for your kids to take it in to school....I know how much they have been wanting to do that since you got her!

Next time you stock up have a look at the size of the medium mice and make sure that they are not wider than 1.5 times her width. It MAY be worthwhile increasing her feeds to 2 small mice for a while before you move her up to medium mice. When she eats the small mouse, does it leave a bump?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  12:20:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep its official Colin is in shed he has gone quite pale and refused a feed today so mine too is shedding a lot earlier than usual (3 weeks early in fact)

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  23:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog

A small mouse does leave a bump, but is only about the same size as her widest width not 1.5 as you say above.
She seems to be growing, thats the main thing.
Will get some pics this weekend and post asap.
Have been on nights for the last two days so not handled her since Monday.

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A small mouse does leave a bump, but is only about the same size as her widest width not 1.5 as you say above.
She seems to be growing, thats the main thing.

Dont worry about the mouse being the same size of her widest width - the 1.5 guide is more a case of telling you that you mustnt feed her anything wider than that.

As long as it is still leaving a bump and she is putting on weight and growing then that is all that is important. When there is not much of a bump then you could think about either feeding her 2 small mice or seeing if she could handle the medium sized mouse....but not until YOU feel she is ready, just follow your instincts.

Must be hard when you are working nights....I bet you miss handling her, I know I miss it with mine when they are blue or have been fed or I am just too busy or too tired to handle them - I get withdrawal symptoms!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/06/2010 05:30:46
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  11:39:06  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I got withdrawals at the moment with my boy being in blue. I dont handle him now when he is in shed but at least I got Xena to fall back on...that is unless she has just eaten

Think I need another one

1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Edited by - elament on 18/06/2010 11:39:31
Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  16:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog

It's not easy working the odd hours i do, if i have fed her and then gone on nights, i can go 4/5 days with out handling her.
then two days later i feed her and another two days of not handling her.
I think i ned another one.....may be a lavender..... or a blood!
Last night my O/H was handling Marge and Marge decided to hide in my O/h's bra!!!
One last question, can you train snakes......?

Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2010 :  16:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes dont have the brain capacity to be trained as such, they can be tamed, just, but thats about it.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2010 :  02:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Snakes dont have the brain capacity to be trained as such, they can be tamed, just, but thats about it.

Do you really think they can be tamed Mike or do you think it is more a case of them learning to accept and tolerate us handling them? I know it is a fine line between the two, and maybe they are the same thing, but I would have thought that taming something implies that the snake ' becomes accustomed to human provision and control' or 'like a domesticated animal in nature; gentle and easy to control; docile' (some definitions of tame).

I dont regard my snakes as pets and would not say that I have tamed them....rather that they accept me handling them (and may even enjoy it up to a point), but they are definitely their own boss and I must always be aware of what they are doing so I cannot tame them in the sense of making them do what I want.

In fact Kellog is the opposite....if I move him away from a certain direction he is heading, like under the sofa, then he will stubbornly keep returning to that place....no matter where in the room I move him to!

xxx

(by the way Glyn, Kellog regularly heads down that direction with me....in fact my OH threatened to take a pic to enter into one of the forum's competitions when he was nestled there comfortably (dont remember what the topic was)! Silvesta, on the other hand, shows no interest in going down/up and clothes....strange the difference.)

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2010 :  22:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

The training comment wasn't ment to be serious and was mainly a result of my dirty mind, and laughing at my o/h's face with a 2 ft snake trying to get personel. Extracting marge was the fun bit !!
She seems very laid back and does seem to like being handled or at least not in a hurry not to be handled. also when i try to put her back in her faun, she try's to not go through the entrance in the top and it normally takes a bit of wiggling to get her in.
Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  04:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi all

The training comment wasn't ment to be serious and was mainly a result of my dirty mind, and laughing at my o/h's face with a 2 ft snake trying to get personel. Extracting marge was the fun bit !!
She seems very laid back and does seem to like being handled or at least not in a hurry not to be handled. also when i try to put her back in her faun, she try's to not go through the entrance in the top and it normally takes a bit of wiggling to get her in.
Glyn

Dont worry Glyn....I know your comment wasnt a serious one, Mike's answer just raised a question in my mind, that is all.

My 2 are just like Marge and will also do this funny dance to try to avoid going back into their vivs, ducking and diving to avoid the entrance ....which to me shows that they definitely enjoy being out, which is all I care about !

Sounds like your sense of humour is going to fit in really well here !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  04:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog, I thought i had made a bit of a plonker of my self for a min there.

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000