New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lizzyd
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  22:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...I have two corns who lived happily together for their early years until one day i found them having some snake love. I left them together for a week or so then put them into seperate tanks. My lady corn went on to have two seperate clutches of eggs without any further mating. Though i did everything right with the laying boxes and incubation, none of these eggs hatched (though the second batch looked much more viable), but i felt she was probably too young. This year both snakes are close to five foot long and 4 yrs old so when the male stopped eating i put them together for a love fest. It has been only 27 days since they first were together but today she laid 28 eggs. 13 were clearly infertile (small, shrivelled and yellow) and have been thrown straight out, but the 15 left seem mainly ok for now. The only thing I can think is that she was already carrying eggs when i put her in with her man. Is this possible? Do these eggs have any chance? Will she lay a second clutch with this years mating session? Should i feed her up and put them together again or wait til next year? Please give me your expert advice, all will be gratefully received. Thanks. Lizzy. x

1.1.0 Classic corns
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Cat

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  23:01:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
theres still a very good chance these are fertile as 27 days is not really early so well worth incubating and theres a good chance she will double clutch from one mating,offer her smaller meals but more often to build her up for that second clutch.

Edited by - lee2308 on 06/06/2010 23:06:38
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  22:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not a good idea to put them back together again until you want to breed them next year, males are notorious sex pests and wont let up until they get their own way! there is a chance she will double clutch again, and yes, the eggs could well be viable, you are right about the other ones though, deffo infertile. best thing is to incubate them as normal and hope they hatch.

Go to Top of Page

lizzyd
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  23:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am gutted. All the eggs have shrivelled and gone yellow.

1.1.0 Classic corns
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Cat
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  13:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, im new to this. i was wondering if anybody can help me. i have 3 cornsnakes, 2 male and 1 female. i got them 2 years ago and they must be about 2 1/2 years old. she has recently layed eggs but there are only 7. she has had some before but they were infertile. is it a bad idea to keep 2 males in with a female? and what shall i do with they eggs? i have no intention to harm them but i only want good advice please!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2010 :  23:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its always a good idea to make your own thread when you want some advice, the outcome of this thread is fairly terminal so not many will come back here.
Do a little research also, there is a lot of information on here about why you should never, ever, co habit opposite sex snakes, and how inadvertently breeding the female so young you could end up killing her. there is a reason why the eggs are so few and not very fertile.
Have a browse and see why, and you might also find out that many on here wont be too happy about whats happened.

My advice for now, separate your snakes, now.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  05:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lizzyd

I am gutted. All the eggs have shrivelled and gone yellow.

I am so sorry Lizzy, but I guess that in some ways you are not surprised that this has happened. Will you be separating your corns now?

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA94

Hi, im new to this. i was wondering if anybody can help me. i have 3 cornsnakes, 2 male and 1 female. i got them 2 years ago and they must be about 2 1/2 years old. she has recently layed eggs but there are only 7. she has had some before but they were infertile. is it a bad idea to keep 2 males in with a female? and what shall i do with they eggs? i have no intention to harm them but i only want good advice please!

I am sorry that this has happened, especially as you are new to this Chris and obviously havent been given very good advice regarding keeping corns together. Mike is right about starting your own thread....that way you will get people responding to your problem in particular, whereas Lizzy's situation has now, unhappily, ended.

quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

........Do a little research also, there is a lot of information on here about why you should never, ever, co habit opposite sex snakes, and how inadvertently breeding the female so young you could end up killing her. there is a reason why the eggs are so few and not very fertile.

Have a browse and see why, and you might also find out that many on here wont be too happy about whats happened.

My advice for now, separate your snakes, now.

Mike is also very experienced and know what he is talking about. He is also right about the reaction you may get regarding how your corns are being kept, but I am aware that you dont know any different and am just glad that you have found this forum to get help and advice. If you do get a negative reaction then please just remember it is because people are concerned about your snakes....and dont want to see anything happen to them - co-habiting them the way you are is a recipe for disaster.

Read this thread to educate yourself about keeping snakes together - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070. I know it is long but it is definitely worth looking through. Not only will it show you the dangers involved but it will also show you how high emotions can run regarding this topic.

Please do as Mike has suggested, separate your snakes as soon as possible.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  17:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi again. sorry if you were concerned by what i posted earlier. i didnt realise that this could happen. i will try to get another cage for them. i was informed by the salesman (a shop in my local town) that they would be fine but seperate when feeding them, which i have. that picture of the amel cannibal corn was disturbing. should i keep the 2 males in with eachother and seperate them from her or seperate all of them? and dont worry, the eggs are in a seperate container with vermilulate. i researched that on here. in my defence they have never had a fight or anything and she seems to be absolutely fine, although she is a bit skinny now she has layed them. she is about 3ft and about an inch thick. so she isnt too under age.any more specific advice? i did not intentially breed them!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  22:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have put the female (indie) in a smaller cage but have kept the cage inside the vivarium. hopefully they should be fine.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  22:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mate, i will do a deal with you, make your own thread and i will tell you as much as you want to know!

Go to Top of Page

lizzyd
Egg

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2010 :  23:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kellog please realise my corns are seperated and have been for well over a year now. I made a mistake in not realising they could breed so young but rectified it as soon as i could. I put them together briefly this year in the hope of breeding them and seperated them again after a week. I am truly gutted by what has happened and was really hoping for some advice as to how i could stop this happening again. Please. I love my snakes and would never ever do them any harm.

1.1.0 Classic corns
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
0.1.0 Cat
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  08:43:55  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lizzy,

Best plan, Let them rest seperately for the rest of this year, and then november/december time, brumate them (there are threads describing what to do!!)

This will intensify their 'need to breed', and hopefully she'll be in a good place to give a full fertile clutch.

(At some point soon, I'll finish a sticky I've been writing with Mike's help, and all information will be on it!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: